Model Cars Magazine Forum

Cool little mini lathe

For harder metals, yes. That is too fast, but for aluminum, you have to use higher speeds to get a smoother finish. Aluminum doesn't "cut" like regular metals. It's an alloy. It has to be sliced. Try using a regular cutting insert to machine aluminum, and it will look horrible when your done. 

Very true. Your righ. You might be able to come up with some sort of clamp system to hold an insert / tool holder, but you could forget about any kind of accuracy. With no way of touching off and no cross feed. I wouldn't try it.:lol: I've tried some pretty sketchy stuff on my lathe at work, and still have all my fingers. 

1 hour ago, Mark said:

It's a wood lathe...no provisions for mounting cutting tools in any sort of fixed position for precision work...

?For metal you really need a 3 or 4 jaw chuck. More speed adjustment too. 

I got a lathe at Harbor Freight with all I need to make parts for under $200. 

Nice replies, every one.  Very informative.

Perhaps some one could advice me on a little conundrum that I'm having.

Below is a pic of an aluminum rim sleeve.  A wheel sits on top of the inner lip indicated by the red arrow.

I would love for the wheel sit deeper.

What would any one suggest I do in shaving it?

rims.png

Edited by aurfalien

That's going to be tough, even on the correct lathe, for anyone who hasn't got expertise with it.

The wheel can be held in a four-jaw chuck.  With a reversible chuck, the jaws can be inverted and might be able to hold the wheel from inside the center hole as opposed to holding it from around its perimeter.  Getting it concentric is the tough part, except for someone expert with the right feel for their lathe.  A couple thousands of an inch off center, and the part will be turned into junk.  For someone starting out with their lathe, it would be easier to start with raw material, and cut a new rim with the desired changes.  Then, the trick will be in making three more that match!

1 minute ago, Mark said:

That's going to be tough, even on the correct lathe, for anyone who hasn't got expertise with it.

The wheel can be held in a four-jaw chuck.  With a reversible chuck, the jaws can be inverted and might be able to hold the wheel from inside the center hole as opposed to holding it from around its perimeter.  Getting it concentric is the tough part, except for someone expert with the right feel for their lathe.  A couple thousands of an inch off center, and the part will be turned into junk.  For someone starting out with their lathe, it would be easier to start with raw material, and cut a new rim with the desired changes.  Then, the trick will be in making three more that match!

Hmm, darn, makes total sense.

Well, I think I'll simply cut the wheel in half and add a tube to extend it to the original depth.  I did buy some nice aluminum tubing that's the same dimensions as the thinnest part if this particular wheel.

I would have preferred a resin wheel in general for flexibility but resin wheel sleeves seem hard to come by.  Perhaps Plastruct or Evergreen have plastic tubing of the same diameter but they don't seem to make them that large.

At any rate thanks for the feedback.

12 minutes ago, aurfalien said:

Hmm, darn, makes total sense.

Well, I think I'll simply cut the wheel in half and add a tube to extend it to the original depth.  I did buy some nice aluminum tubing that's the same dimensions as the thinnest part if this particular wheel.

I would have preferred a resin wheel in general for flexibility but resin wheel sleeves seem hard to come by.  Perhaps Plastruct or Evergreen have plastic tubing of the same diameter but they don't seem to make them that large.

At any rate thanks for the feedback.

Maybe cut one wheel, modify it as desired, then cast copies?  I too have a few sets of turned aluminum rims similar to those pictured, and also have a lathe (but no experience operating it, though I intend to change that this coming winter).  I'll likely just make up, and cast, some centers for the rims that I have, then hopefully do some new parts for other things.

3 minutes ago, Mark said:

Maybe cut one wheel, modify it as desired, then cast copies?  I too have a few sets of turned aluminum rims similar to those pictured, and also have a lathe (but no experience operating it, though I intend to change that this coming winter).  I'll likely just make up, and cast, some centers for the rims that I have, then hopefully do some new parts for other things.

Hmm, well I'm not opposed to casting and have done a pretty good job of casting quarter panels and other parts etc...

However I have much more fun fabricating so I may just make any diameter wheel I wish from sheet styrene.