Forum will be Offline for Server Maintenance ×
Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/18 Ertl 1973 Ford Mustang Mach I - GI60S Eleanor

Junkman

Well, who is the Junkman around here then?

36588671545_b71b92e45a_c.jpg

36542494216_25ebcef658_c.jpg

36542492246_046277fbe4_c.jpg

36588652315_b92201ba4c_c.jpg

35779417603_f21f4c246c_c.jpg

36542485356_730662f2d1_c.jpg

As to why Ertl chose to make these in the wrong shade of yellow I know not.
Sadly the model suffered "transport damage" courtesy of the Hermes lackay flingin it over my 7ft high garden gate.
I have obtained another one in kit form and will eventually swap the bodies.
If I had any confidence in my ability to replicate the black striping, I'd might as well correct the colour.

Edited by Junkman

It's interesting Ert;l got the 73 grille with the 72 bumper correct.  The movie car was a 71 or 72 with the grill replaced with the 73 style to "update" it for the movie release date.  I cannot see if they kept the turn signals under the bumper.  The information is sketchy on engine but it is believed to be a 351 Cleveland unlike the 302 in the model.  The rear bumperettes are incorrect as is the rear Mach1 decal and F O R D lettering.  So, if you have a kit I woul recommend a repaint.  The hood paint should not be a lot less difficult than a Mach1 or Boss scheme.  For the record Eleanor was not a Mach1, it was a sportsroof with the standard hood.   While you are at it (if you repaint it) use as many photos of the real car as you can find.  The back of the movie car has a Boss like blackout treatment and lower body painted black also.

IMG_5928.PNG

Edited by vamach1

16 hours ago, Junkman said:

The lower front indicators are indeed present on the model.

Hmmm.  Maybe I have an older version but I do not see any on mine.  It's sad that this 1/18 diecast is based on the incorrect 1/25 plastic models.  I say that because it is obvious they copied the exhaust system from the kit instead of the correct oval mufflers.  While I cannot be 100% sure the movie car did not have resonators, I checked the sprint version of this model and it's the same.  Even the sprint is missing the turn signals.  One thing they got right was the mud flaps which is quite comical.  The sprint and the Eleanor are basically the same model except for the wheels, paint job, interior color, hood pins, flaps and grille.  The 1/43 Eleanor is surprisingly more accurate except it should not have the honeycomb rear panel.  For comparison here''s the Autoart Mach1 with the correct exhaust system but incorrect chrome (Boss 351) bumper.  Other than that it's a much more accurate (but more expensive) 72 Mustang Mach1 as compared to the Ertl versions.  So, basically the Eleanor was a bastardized 71 or 72 sportsroof (not a mach1) with a 73 grille and non factory color and non factory blackout paint on the hood and rear.  It's no wonder these companies fail to make an accuarate replica assuming they even care.

IMG_5931.JPG

IMG_5934.JPG

IMG_5935.JPG

IMG_5936.JPG

IMG_5937.JPG

IMG_5938.JPG