Model Cars Magazine Forum

1968 Hemi Charger

johnwitzke

I am planning on two builds for 2020.   First in the hopper is a 1968 Hemi Charger.  This one will have a 4-speed no console, red line tires and body color steel wheels with dog dish hub caps.  Color will be a rare hue called Surf Turquoise or Med Dark Turquoise Metallic with black interior. No stripes, just plain Jane.  The Brothers Collection has this car and it is one of one.  I have started the engine, but there is a lot of detailing left to do.  This will be a factory stock model and will replicate a factory produced car, including paint making on the chassis components and correct colors.   Accuracy will be very important as this build will take me awhile as I will be pouring as much detail as possible.  I will update as I move along in the build

20191104_200224_resized.jpg

20191104_201016_resized.jpg

1968-dodge-charger-t-426-hemi-front-left.jpg

20191106_161324_resized.jpg

Edited by johnwitzke

5 hours ago, johnwitzke said:

Chassis is now in primer.  I will let cure for a few days then overspray body color onto the chassis followed by detailing all suspension components, exhaust, etc.  

20191105_210810_resized.jpg

Will enjoy seeing your builds, John. Built a few Chargers myself, Hemi/Non-Hemis, so I thought I’d give you a heads-up, since you’re going with the Hemi in this 68. The chassis needs torque boxes, all Hemi optioned B-bodies ( most others too ) all had torque boxes. I noticed you’re not using the Hemi on the 70, your other WIP, maybe use that chassis for this 68 & use this 68’s chassis for the 70 ???

9 hours ago, CJ1971 said:

Will enjoy seeing your builds, John. Built a few Chargers myself, Hemi/Non-Hemis, so I thought I’d give you a heads-up, since you’re going with the Hemi in this 68. The chassis needs torque boxes, all Hemi optioned B-bodies ( most others too ) all had torque boxes. I noticed you’re not using the Hemi on the 70, your other WIP, maybe use that chassis for this 68 & use this 68’s chassis for the 70 ???

Correct and I am adding.  The 1968 torque boxes differ slightly from the 1970.  So I am taking another set of 1970 boxes and modifying them to resimble the 1968 style.   Both my 1968 and 1970 Charger builds will have 426 Hemi

Edited by johnwitzke

3 hours ago, johnwitzke said:

Correct and I am adding.  The 1968 torque boxes differ slightly from the 1970.  So I am taking another set of 1970 boxes and modifying them to resimble the 1968 style.   Both my 1968 and 1970 Charger builds will have 426 Hemi

Yep you’re right there, about slight differences with the torque boxes. I fabricated them for my 68 because the 70 kit hadn’t been issued when I built my 68. 

I have at least 2 more chargers ( 69 & 70 ) to build & im thinking about buying some new carbs from Fireball for the Hemi. They look awesome & extremely well detailed ?? Joseph does some very good work/casting ????

Cheers ??