Model Cars Magazine Forum

The Piranha engine has to be No.2

landman

Of all the engine I built I found that the Auburn stright 8 from the Pyro/lindbergh kit has to be  the worst as far as representation. I bought this one on  eBay which is supposed to be a Corvair 180 modified for the Piranha tow car. While I haven't found any pictures of the real thing out of the car this model looks overly simplistic to me. i had to make a couple of parts but that isn't the kits fault. So I'll try do di it justice.

IMG_9679.JPG

IMG_9680.JPG

IMG_9681.JPG

IMG_9682.JPG

1935 (3).JPG

Wow, Landman, is that English Wheel I see in the background made from a small G clamp?  If so, kudos, sir, what a beautifully simple idea! 

Also, where do you get the guy with the wrench in his hand.  I have a large collection of figures but have never seen this one before.  He has a very natural pose.

Cheers

Alan

1 minute ago, alan barton said:

Wow, Landman, is that English Wheel I see in the background made from a small G clamp?  If so, kudos, sir, what a beautifully simple idea! 

Also, where do you get the guy with the wrench in his hand.  I have a large collection of figures but have never seen this one before.  He has a very natural pose.

Cheers

Alan

Hi Alan, yes the English wheel is made from a clamp.Its construction is on page 6 of my diorama thread :http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/topic/97646-background-diorama-flatheads-to-boxers-engine-rebuilders-new-tool-new-room/page/6/

The figure is from Printle shop on Shapeways: https://www.shapeways.com/designer/benhaim. The natural pose comes from the fact that they are 3D printed from body scans of real people.

Excellent!  I have been following your diorama for a long time - I must have missed a few pages!  I will go and check it out now.

What impresses me about your whole diorama is that you have hit a happy medium between surgically immaculate and completely trashed, the two ends of the scale that most people seem to achieve when doing a workshop.  Yours reminds of any of a thousand workshops out there where the job is to get things done efficiently without going all Hollywood.  I like it a lot!

Cheers

Alan

11 minutes ago, alan barton said:

Excellent!  I have been following your diorama for a long time - I must have missed a few pages!  I will go and check it out now.

What impresses me about your whole diorama is that you have hit a happy medium between surgically immaculate and completely trashed, the two ends of the scale that most people seem to achieve when doing a workshop.  Yours reminds of any of a thousand workshops out there where the job is to get things done efficiently without going all Hollywood.  I like it a lot!

Cheers

Alan

Thank you for the kind words. That is the goal of the whole thing, having fun while possibly entertaining others.

9 minutes ago, Johnt671 said:

I have two Paranha kits to build. One is the spy car version, and the other the new release of the race team. Has anyone tried doing one with the Revell Parts pack Corvair motors and if so how di it work out?

I almost did that, but when I realized that they can be built two ways (2 carbs or turbo) I decided to keep them to make a complete trio as I have the one with 4 carbs as well. But I did consider it.