Model Cars Magazine Forum

Variable speed custom paint booth built in 2 full days

After taking inspiration from someone else's paint booth, I built my own. The (4) 12VDC fan plate is from an old paging transmitter. (Remember pagers?) I bought a variable DC power supply so that I can vary the airflow as needed. I wanted it wide so I have plenty of room for my part on a stick and a full size rattle can. So I chose a 16x25x1 air filter as my starting point. I built a frame that allows easy changing of filters. My base plate is 1/4 high density fiberboard. I mounted the fans and soldered in a jack for the DC input. I do not have the privilege of leaving it set up so I had to make it portable. It comes apart so I can store it in the garage. I have read about how restrictive 4" flexible ducting is so I made a very low restriction plenum. I used 1x2s and a heavy duty double thick cardboard moving box. I made the window insert from the same materials. For lighting I used an old 18" fluorescent under cabinet light that I had in my old shop. I skinned the outside with some leftover pegboard and I skinned the inside with corrugated plastic sheeting. I work in the HVAC field so I can get good air filters for less than $4 instead if $16 at Home Depot. Now my Freightliner build doesn't have to wait for Spring to continue on.

2) Raw materials 2.JPG

3) Base and filter frame.JPG

4) Easy change filter frame.JPG

5) Paint booth fans.JPG

6) Intake side of fan plate.JPG

7) Discharge side of fan plate.JPG

8) Fan plate attached.JPG

9) Filter and fan assy.JPG

A) Exhaust plenum framing.JPG

B) Exh plenum to fans open.JPG

C) Exh plenum to fans attached.JPG

D) Exhaust plenum inlet.JPG

E) Exhaust plenum outlet.JPG

F) Electrical connections done.JPG

G) Assy installed in window.JPG

H) 5vdc (slowest speed).JPG

I) 12.5vdc (hi-speed).JPG

J) 1st time use.JPG

1 hour ago, randyc said:

Nice.  I have a dedicated table to airbrush/spray and really need to build something to vent the fumes outside.  I have an old range hood that I am thinking of using.  It might or might not work.  

During my research, I have seen others use one successfully.

Nice booth!

Unfortunately I do not have a window in or near my hobby room. So I've been spraying in the garage.

However I do have a bathroom attached to my hobby room, and have contemplated running a duct to the bathroom exhaust fan. I figure a good length of flexi pipe should do the trick... but then have to figure out how to clamp the hose in place.

Oh well, another project for another life.

• 5 weeks later...

I finally got to use my paint booth today for the first time. I brought in a space heater to warm up the room to 80+ degrees. I brought in a pot of hot water to warm up my paint cans. I set up the booth in the window just like I had designed it. I applied food wrap on the inside surfaces to keep them clean.

I am doing this in the spare bedroom in a house with a wife with a sensitive nose. I used 8 different rattle cans with various types of paint. The paint booth worked GREAT. My wife said she could not smell it in the house and while I did wear a dust mask, I had minimal odors in spite of sitting right in front of it. The mask looked like it had never been used. I ran my 12 volt fans on 6-7 volts and as the filter got dirty, I adjusted it up to 10 volts. The filter kept everything behind it paint free.

I am so happy to be able to build more in the Winter now.☺️

• 5 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 12/5/2019 at 9:10 AM, LL3 Model Worx said:

Nice booth!

Unfortunately I do not have a window in or near my hobby room. So I've been spraying in the garage.

However I do have a bathroom attached to my hobby room, and have contemplated running a duct to the bathroom exhaust fan. I figure a good length of flexi pipe should do the trick... but then have to figure out how to clamp the hose in place.

Oh well, another project for another life.

For attaching that hose remember the universal solution called duct tape.