Model Cars Magazine Forum

Sherline milling machine base?

12 minutes ago, SfanGoch said:

Honestly, you should've posted this question in your thread asking for recommendations for a milling machine. No real need for a separate thread.

In that thread I hadn’t even heard of a sherline mill let alone know they  had different bases???????

Edited by 2zwudz

All I can say is go as big as you can afford, and fit on your bench.  There have been a couple times that I wish I had gone bigger, not usually because of part size but a few times I've run into problems when I start using multiple fixtures on the table (like angle attachment and rotary table and vise) and then maybe using a slitting saw..... Now most of the time the smallest table is fine for our hobby, but I'm building mostly 1/12 Tamiya and MFH kits.

Alright, I done kept quiet until now. You gotta quit askin' the same questions in 5 different places across two different sections.  People here gave ya good advice, but it's on YOU to decide exactly whatcha want to do and are willing to spend. Go to Sheline, look at all they have to sell, and figur' out what you NEED. 

I'd love to jump in whole hog an smoke the better part of $4K on all their 'Mini Machine Shop' goodies. But I decided to start out small and go with what I really saw myself needin' for the time bein'. Research is also your friend, and half the operatin' questions I know you'll be askin' can be found right there on their site, or on a hobbyist machining forum.

Again, I ain't hatin' on you, just wantin' you to get yer stuff straight and in order before these good folks run you off for not listenin'.

15 minutes ago, MarvinGardens said:

Alright, I done kept quiet until now. You gotta quit askin' the same questions in 5 different places across two different sections.  People here gave ya good advice, but it's on YOU to decide exactly whatcha want to do and are willing to spend. Go to Sheline, look at all they have to sell, and figur' out what you NEED. 

I'd love to jump in whole hog an smoke the better part of $4K on all their 'Mini Machine Shop' goodies. But I decided to start out small and go with what I really saw myself needin' for the time bein'. Research is also your friend, and half the operatin' questions I know you'll be askin' can be found right there on their site, or on a hobbyist machining forum.

Again, I ain't hatin' on you, just wantin' you to get yer stuff straight and in order before these good folks run you off for not listenin'.

Where did I ask the same question five times???  Show me exactly what your talking about so I will know????

No need to be silly. You had 3 here and two down in General, all askin' about tabletop milling (and milking) machines (but they done seemed to 'disappear' in the last 24 hours), tabletop lathe, this here thread, and machinin' engine thread.  Now we're at least down to two. Now, I'm not the only one who's been noticing this, and I a'int the only one who said somethin' to ya either. There a'int no hate or evil intent in my post, just statin' what's been noticed.

My points still stand; you need to decide what you want to do, what you are willing to spend, and what your real expectations are. As far as you 'machining engines' thread and where to find info; that you get to figure out on your own. There are plenty of books available dealing with milling, lathe-turning, basic shop math, and the like. There are tutorials on YouTube and Facebook, there are seminars and webinars put on my the tooling manufacturers to learn how to use their tools. I'll betcha you a'int machining an engine your first pass out, even with the proper tooling. Again ain't no hate; just statin' the cold hard facts. Now, once you get all set up and cuttin' chips, we'll all be watchin'! ?

4 hours ago, 2zwudz said:

In that thread I hadn’t even heard of a sherline mill let alone know they  had different bases???????

Mark,

if you go to your profile, you can see and revisit all of your posts and threads.

http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/profile/18334-2zwudz/

Here is the thread you started asking about milling machines, and here you aslo got lots of answers recommending Sherline.  It would have made more sense to continue posting Sherline questions there, instead of starting new thread.  Here you go.

http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/topic/148581-looking-for-recommendations-on-a-bench-top-milling-machine/?tab=comments#comment-2184436

Edited by peteski