Model Cars Magazine Forum

Kit engineering question

12 hours ago, FredRPG said:

This is the difference between an engineer and an artist. As an artist that works with engineers all the time, I’d like to say you’re both right.  I recently had a discussion about illustrating a missile coming straight at the viewer. To most people it looked like a hubcap, to the engineer it was just right. In 2d or 3D often you have to cheat to get things to look right, but no one notices because it looks right.

For the missile I cheated the angle down a bit and exaggerated the perspective compared to the Apache in the background. Most everyone agreed that it looked like you were about to be hit, except the engineer who thought it was going to miss by several feet.  He wasn’t wrong literally, but he was visually.

As an engineer who is also an artist, I can certainly understand your comment. Most people seeing a flat disc in an illustration aren't going to identify it as an incoming missile, nor are their minds going to automatically interpret a nose-down attitude as defining a trajectory that will miss.

That is, however, an entirely different species of fruit.

On ‎1‎/‎31‎/‎2020 at 2:21 AM, afx said:

22814346 10155669385522177 7972627980908999312 n

I believe this method may be wrong. Real car wheels are measured for diameter at the bead where the tyre sits. Not at the lip as shown in this drawing. That is why some model car wheels seem a little bigger than they should be, when actually they are probably correct. That would account for the approx. 1 inch difference people have been noticing.

20 minutes ago, Michael jones said:

I believe this method may be wrong. Real car wheels are measured for diameter at the bead where the tyre sits. Not at the lip as shown in this drawing. That is why some model car wheels seem a little bigger than they should be, when actually they are probably correct. That would account for the approx. 1 inch difference people have been noticing.

You may want to look again. Though the method above fails to account verbally for the difference in a nominal rim diameter (tire seating surface) and the measured outside rim diameter, it's there.

19 hours ago, Michael jones said:

Model car wheels are typically the diameter of the outer lip (bead).  Measure the wheels on your 1:1 car in your garage, you will find the actual dimension to the outer edge of the bead is approximately 1.5 " greater than that actual wheel size shown on your tire.   As an example if your tire shows a wheel size of 15" your wheel will measure about 16.5"

Edited by afx

2 hours ago, afx said:

Model car wheel are typically the diameter of the outer lip (bead).  Measure the wheels on your 1:1 car in your garage, you will find the actual dimension to the outer edge of the bead is approximately 1.5 " greater than that actual wheel size shown on your tire.   As an example if your tire shows a wheel size of 15 your wheel will measure abut 16.5"

My point exactly :)

41 minutes ago, Michael jones said:

My point exactly :)

As the man said...

3 hours ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

You may want to look again...

The correct info is in the graphic; your comment makes no sense :wacko:

Edited by mk11