Model Cars Magazine Forum

Italeri Alfa 8c- WIP

• 1 year later...
2 hours ago, dmbgamer said:

Jay,

Your Alfa is beautiful. Congratulations on such a high quality build.

I am starting my version and was wondering if you could share the crackle product you used for the seats? Do you remember the name?

Thanks in advance.

Thanks, Randy. The crackle medium I used was Jim Holtz clear "rock candy" distress crackle paint. Basically my process is to apply a base color, then brush on a medium coat of the crackle medium. After that has dried, airbrush thin coats of your top color. Once that has dried, use a wash of a darkened version of your top color to highlight the cracks. The purpose of applying a base color under the crackle medium is that it's not the most stable stuff in the world so if it flakes off anywhere it'll look intentional. That being said, I built my 8c a year and a half ago and the finish on the seat looks exactly the same with no flaking at all. I did seal everything under a coat of satin acrylic, though. All paints were Tamiya acrylics, and I strongly suggest airbrushing your colors because the cracks are so fine that I think they'd get lost under brushed paint. 

I'd recommend trying the process out on a scrap piece first, but the nice thing about the crackle medium I used is that it's water-based and will come off pretty easily if you don't like the effect. Good luck, and make sure to post up your build. Are you doing the new release with the fenders?