Model Cars Magazine Forum

Hino Heavy Transport 'Pandemic stay-at-home build'

Every now and then, I find it pleasurable to build a model ‘box-stock’ (especially when I don’t have a lot of knowledge of this type of Japanese transport) and during these days of ‘Covid 19 social-distancing’, an Aoshima 1/32 truck kit fills the bill nicely.

Aoshima truck kits are always beautifully molded with no sink-marks, and very precise location points. What makes them somewhat challenging, however, is the sheer number of miniscule, finnicky, and sometimes fragile details.

The box art for this 2003 (or so) Hino Super Dolphin Profia Teravie  (yes, thats the rather obtuse actual name) shows a plethora of cab chrome plated panels which, although probably optionally available on the real trucks, compromises the commercial vehicle look that I prefer.

Following many internet pictures of these vehicles, I chose to paint out most of the plating, and I even decided to tone down all the plated details on the ‘Hi-Wing’ low deck van body with satin clear to look more like the anodized aluminum details on the real vehicles.

The model took around two weeks of ‘stay at home’ time, and I must admit I’m pleased with the finished model.

1-P4261286.JPG

1-P4261295.JPG

1-P4261297.JPG

1-P4261299.JPG

1-P4261301.JPG

1-P4261302.JPG

1-P4261303.JPG

I gotta say, for a box stock 1/32 scale model, it looks awesome.... Very nice amount of detail you don't see on any 1/32 scale rig from Revell... Excellent work, My Friend.... And it must be said... You picked the most "AWESOMEST" color EVER!!!!

Edited by kilrathy10

11 hours ago, kilrathy10 said:

I gotta say, for a box stock 1/32 scale model, it looks awesome.... Very nice amount of detail you don't see on any 1/32 scale rig from Revell... Excellent work, My Friend.... And it must be said... You picked the most "AWESOMEST" color EVER!!!!

I thought it was one of yours ?

• 2 weeks later...