Model Cars Magazine Forum

80's inspired Street machine

I figured I'd start a "Showhow" on the newly re-released Chevy Luv... Straight out the box, I chopped off the flares and the front airdam/half spoiler thing...  and opened up the lower valance. Still working on the front wheel openings... (I like the factory look better) It's early but I couldn't resist a quick mock up for a few pics... 

I also got rid of the bench seat to make room for some 67 Camaro seats and console... I'm feeling good about this kit, there was alot of chatter regarding the ins and outs but I think it's gonna be a fun build...

Screenshot_20200504-161317.png

Screenshot_20200504-161252.png

maxresdefault.jpg

Edited by disconovaman

My brother had a 73 Luv in highschool, We built it with a 400 Small block, a power glide, (from a 68 Camaro),456 posi rear gears. We also used those same 68 Camaro bucket seats and the two speed console. 

We painted it dark metallic blue and added black and silver stripes and he spang for some Gold/Chrome modular II wheels... They cost a whopping 48 bucks each! (14x6 on the front and 14x8 on the back.)

He didn't keep it long, even though gas was cheap back in the 80's he couldn't drive it anywhere without stopping to fill up. lol. So he traded it for a 307 powered 4 speed 75 Nova with 308 gears. 

I'm planning on building this kinda like his but with a better budget. We were kids in school with two jobs but we searched the junkyards and found the deals whenever we could...

Here is a pic of the wheels he had on the truck... 

Screenshot_20200505-102517~2.png

The stock wheelwells have a slight lip on the opening, I used the smallest styrene stock I have. I'm in hopes that I can make them smaller with sanding. I think I got the shape of the opening good enough though... fill, sand, prime repeat...repeat... More on the way... 

Screenshot_20200506-223256.png

Screenshot_20200506-223327.png

It's starting to look like the flares that were used back in the 70s. I'm a big fan of 70s style mini trucks and vans and I never saw flares like the ones  used on this model back then. I wonder what they were smoking when they designed this model? lol

6 hours ago, rd1959 said:

I never saw flares like the ones  used on this model back then

Me either and I was thinking the same thing when I seen the kit.  I have the  Best of the decades Truckin magizine issue and there's like 30 examples of the chevy luvs customised and not one has those flares. But there are some Awesome trucks!

20200508_213619~2.jpg

20200508_213737~2.jpg

Hey thanks guy's for the support. I'm still making daily progress despite how busy I've become latley.

I built a blown small block with parts by bashing various kits. I used the Luv's small block, heads, and headers. The blower comes from the AMT 68 Camaro. I used the carbs from the Revell 69 Camaro. The breathers I borrowed from an AMT 70 Superbee... All the parts work together and I'm happy with the results.

I drilled the heads for plug wires and heat stretched some yellow sprue to make wires... (An old school trick I learned when I was young). The idea is to have the engine exposed though the hood...

Also I've found that by painting silver base on bodywork It helps to see sand scratches and uneven bodywork... so I sprayed some on the cab to see my work...  Taking shape, I just need to start narrowing down the details. I'm determined not to stall out on this one... 

20200513_175012~2.jpg

20200513_155221.jpg

Here's how I want the truck to sit, said and done... i just need to come up with an 80's Dream Scheme to tie it all together... Back in the day one ran around in my town... Had Garfeild painted on the hood... The whole hood Lol.

20200513_175619~2.jpg

Edited by disconovaman
Tired

1 hour ago, Jonathan said:

Really enjoying your work on this!

Thanks for your encouragement... I'm almost finished with the prep work and I'll be ready for colors... 

When I started the project I had a clear vision of how I wanted it to be but I'm not real sure now what colors to use... If I want late 80's graphics or late 70's panel paint with infinity lines and fades?...  

Blue was my first choice with the white stripes supplied in the kit. I'm not ruling out orange, brown, yellow, or maybe pearl white with 3 tone pink Luv Sport stripe kit. I was also thinking green with gold panel lace or silver with purple lace panels. I don't know what color to paint it. I need to keep researching ideas I guess... ?

Edited by disconovaman

While I'm debating on what colors to use I thought I'd share one of our fellow club member's progress on his... He usually don't get bogged down with inaccuracys and details like I do, rather just build out of the box... I'm inspired... ?

One of our other members ended up with a case of these things so he has slowly been dispersing them out to the club members interested in building the truck... 

Looks like I'll have a few more to show in the coming weeks since we have been holding virtual clubmeets for the past two months... Next month is the AMT 67 Chevelle prostreet...

I'm planning a boxart build for that one... man, I gotta get busy....

IMG_20200514_125402_01.jpg

IMG_20200514_125356_01.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
19 hours ago, Scott8950 said:

That little truck would move on for about 600 ft. then it was out of steam

That's exactly how my brother's was! 8th mile crusher but after that it was dead in the water lol...

One night on the way home from work we were being tailgateed so my brother punched it and left the car behind us sitting... Then all of a sudden like a rocket, some kind of modern 80's sports car went flying by us so fast I couldn't even tell you make or model. I remember it was either white or silver but that was it. 

456 gears were stock in those 4cyl luvs so it would have some kind of hope and standard trans was standard equipment...?

1 hour ago, disconovaman said:

That's exactly how my brother's was! 8th mile crusher but after that it was dead in the water lol...

One night on the way home from work we were being tailgateed so my brother punched it and left the car behind us sitting... Then all of a sudden like a rocket, some kind of modern 80's sports car went flying by us so fast I couldn't even tell you make or model. I remember it was either white or silver but that was it. 

456 gears were stock in those 4cyl luvs so it would have some kind of hope and standard trans was standard equipment...?

Mine with a stock internal 4 cyl, a header and glass pack, would top out around 100-105. I couldn't hear anything but the engine screaming at that speed.

5 hours ago, disconovaman said:

I remember  one night we ran that truck against a new at the time 87/88 iroc z with the 350 tpi and automatic trans, that little truck slaughtered the z28 for about an 1/8th mile after that the z finally blew by.