Model Cars Magazine Forum

Fixed cup airbrushes

I have a badger 150 and 200 brushes but am looking for a fixed cup airbrush.I have been looking

online and see the Master band and was looking for opinions from those who who may have tried

them.Now before you tell me to get a paasche or another badger I cant afford them right now.What

does everyone think?

A good compromise is to fit one of your existing brushes with the accessory side mounted open top metal cup. Best of both worlds for about $12. I use one on my Badger 200 almost 100% of the time because thats my .25 nozzle brush used for fine mists or detail. But I use it my Paasche H for small jobs too.  But then I still have the jars for big jobs like my wife's ceramics clear coating with varnish with H and medium nozzle.

The Masters work ok after a little tuning up. Mostly that's polishing the needle. The tip O rings deteriorate quickly but bees wax makes a better seal anyway so that's no big deal. I think you will find that to be true of the Hubest as well.

Edited by Dave G.

7 hours ago, dartman said:

The reviews on Amazon are all over the map, so I suppose for the price there isn't much harm in trying one. Quality control won't be consistent with a "clone" or knock-off product- you may get lucky, or you may need to tweak things. It sounds like it is a knock-off of an Iwata, and some reviewers say Iwata parts are interchangeable.  

Another option for you might be an Iwata Neo series brush- a lower priced airbrush with the gravity feed option. As you might expect from a Chinese made airbrush, QC also varies from airbrush to airbrush, but these are made in Taiwan (usually considered a cut above mainland China) and backed by an actual Iwata warranty.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=iwata+neo&ref=nb_sb_noss_1

(would depend on whether you can justify the extra cost for manufacturer support)

https://sites.google.com/site/donsairbrushtips/neo-for-iwata

A gravity feed airbrush is a great investment.The thing to really watch for when you are looking inexpensive airbrushes is the availability of replacement parts.  It is inevitable that even with careful handling you might bend a needle or loose a nozzle. Some of the really cheap airbrushes do not seem to offer replacement parts. At which point, you need to replace the whole airbrush. My understanding is that Master is one of the better choices for an inexpensive airbrush, but I have not used one myself. 

1 hour ago, kurth said:

A gravity feed airbrush is a great investment.The thing to really watch for when you are looking inexpensive airbrushes is the availability of replacement parts.  It is inevitable that even with careful handling you might bend a needle or loose a nozzle. Some of the really cheap airbrushes do not seem to offer replacement parts. At which point, you need to replace the whole airbrush. My understanding is that Master is one of the better choices for an inexpensive airbrush, but I have not used one myself. 

The nice thing is, with a $20.00 investment, why mess with replacement parts.

It's kind of like re-soling a pair of $25.00 shoes. :)

Steve

On 7/16/2020 at 2:14 AM, dartman said:

I have a badger 150 and 200 brushes but am looking for a fixed cup airbrush.I have been looking

online and see the Master band and was looking for opinions from those who who may have tried

them.Now before you tell me to get a paasche or another badger I cant afford them right now.What

does everyone think?

I thought about this a little more,  since you have a  badger 150, you can buy a 100 or 100LG body and convert the 150 into a badger 100, which is a gravity feed airbrush. 

https://usaairbrushsupply.com/products/shell-model-100g-w-needle-bearing. The body is $25.02

There is also a 200 Gravity feed body:

https://usaairbrushsupply.com/products/shell-airbrush-body-model-200g-with-needle-bearing 

You can make your 200 a gravity feed. 

I have done several badger mashups and many parts are interchangeable.  Just a thought. 

Edited by kurth

On 7/17/2020 at 5:57 PM, StevenGuthmiller said:

The nice thing is, with a $20.00 investment, why mess with replacement parts.

It's kind of like re-soling a pair of $25.00 shoes. :)

Steve

I had thought of that,if you have a problem after a year or three pick up a new one.