Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell 1971 Boss 351 Mustang

7 hours ago, Dave Toups said:

It's a Ram Air air cleaner, unfortunately. It looks like we'll have to wait until the 1973 version (Eleanor) comes out to get a correct non-Ram Air air cleaner. Hopefully the aftermarket can step up.

FE44157F-0B25-47C4-87A2-5DAB73CDF32F.jpeg.4573b3c1236bfdd2a607612499f0eafc.jpeg

That looks good.  I hope also Revell does a 73 Mach1 version which should be pretty easy with the NACA hood, 351 CJ with stock valve covers, and correct 73 Mach1 decals.  Maybe slip in the ram-air plenum for bonus points.

• 4 months later...

I finally ordered my copy of the Revell Boss 351. Received it today and immediately opened the box to check it out. I’m glad I did, my wheel sprue is missing a wheel! It’s still sealed and there’s no loose wheel in the box. Has anyone else found parts missing from their Boss or Mach 1? I have submitted a service request from Revell Germany, hopefully they will get back to me soon. I’m confident they will; my McLaren 570s from a couple years ago was missing a headlight lens (also from a sealed bag) and they sent me a replacement pretty quickly. IMG_2445.jpeg.d82af0e88bde70c938fdaefeb885e05f.jpegIMG_2446.jpeg.a396402046901b3ae8959210371b56be.jpeg

8 hours ago, StanGlover said:

...my wheel sprue is missing a wheel! It’s still sealed...

Sorry about your loss, @StanGlover. I've not gotten the 71 Mustang yet, but on a somewhat related note, last year, I got my copy of the 76 Chevy Custom Van. It was missing one of the seats, and the chrome sprue was partially crushed, where one of the wheels was utterly pulverized. Hoping these quality control issues are rare one-offs, and not a growing trend of lowered standards!

z.jpg

@Stef Thanks! I’m not too worried. Worst case I can resin cast one or use something from the parts box. It will be a while before I get to this kit.

Out of the couple hundred of new kits I’ve bought (I open every single one to check it out), just these two Revell’s have had missing parts. Only one kit had a crushed body A-pillar mysteriously in a perfect sealed box, funnily enough the AMT 007 Mach 1. The rest have all been perfect so probably just flukes!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, StanGlover said:

Out of the couple hundred of new kits... just these two Revell’s have had missing parts...

Agreed, @StanGlover, in all the squillions of kits I've bought over the past century or two, only a handful ever had any problems. If anything, we're all much more trepidatious about cracking open vintage MPC kits, infamous for their tire melt!