Model Cars Magazine Forum

Once more we remember.

Amen Charlie!  I was living in Central NJ in a town with waterfront on the harbor facing Staten Island, we could see the World Trade Center looming over the island from our shore. We could smell the smoke in our neighborhood, as intense as if there was an electrical fire on our block. 

Being in a NYC bedroom community we know people who died that day, and many close calls. Within the Tristate Scale Model Car Club we had three wives in the buildings, fortunately all escaped. 

It’s a dark moment in our history and unfortunately the impact has lessened over the years. 19 years later, a good portion of our population is too young to know of it first hand, so it’s like the Civil War to them. I was thinking the other day that no child in our school system was even alive yet on that day!

3 hours ago, Tom Geiger said:

Amen Charlie!  I was living in Central NJ in a town with waterfront on the harbor facing Staten Island, we could see the World Trade Center looming over the island from our shore. We could smell the smoke in our neighborhood, as intense as if there was an electrical fire on our block. 

Being in a NYC bedroom community we know people who died that day, and many close calls. Within the Tristate Scale Model Car Club we had three wives in the buildings, fortunately all escaped. 

It’s a dark moment in our history and unfortunately the impact has lessened over the years. 19 years later, a good portion of our population is too young to know of it first hand, so it’s like the Civil War to them. I was thinking the other day that no child in our school system was even alive yet on that day!

You're right, Tom.  So many now who haven't the slightest clue!  That's why it is so  important to pass the information on and in a truthful way.  I was in my office; did not see the first plane hit the towers but we went and got a portable TV and watched the second one hit.  Unbelievable!  I think also of what it must have been like to make the decision to storm the cockpit of the plane that crashed in Shanksville, PA.  Everyone on that plane knew the end was coming for them.  Todd Bemis is the only name I remember but I remember also what he said:  "Let's Roll!" and they did it anyway.

Neither will I. Even after all these years, it still doesn’t seem real. I was on my way to work that morning when the news came the a plane had hit the first tower. My first thought was it was a small single prop out rubbernecking and got too close, Having no idea at the time it was a passenger jet, but later my co workers and I saw the second Plane hit the tower. I will never forget that image. It’s burned into my memory permanently.