Model Cars Magazine Forum

MPC Beretta GT

Plowboy

My wife had a '93 that was identical to this one.

chevrolet-beretta-13.jpg.a1ca9904b9dd60ff673922aa59b10708.jpg

God how I HATED that car!! Running wise, you couldn't beat it. It had a four cylinder that would easily outrun the V-6. It was all of the other things that was the issue. It seemed like every other weekend I would have to work on that POS. Windows wouldn't work half the time. Couldn't keep a set of front brakes on it. If the steering wheel was turned slightly, you couldn't dim the headlights because the dimmer lever would hit the steering wheel! The odometer would run backwards as well as forward. Last straw was when the dimmer/turn signal lever broke off in my hand on my way to get yet another set of brake pads for it. I turned around, went back home, got the title and wife and traded it that day. She asked what I was going to do about the broken turn signal lever. I told her I was going to get some crazy glue, pull over in front of the dealership and glue it back on. Which I did and no one was the wiser. I was never so happy to get rid of a car! 

I got a couple of coats of paint on. Still not as bright as I thought it would be. I'm debating on shooting another coat before sanding it down for final paint and clear. I'm already dreading trying to paint the black and red on the body molding! I'll definitely have to use masking tape. My hands and eyes just aren't what they used to be.

20201009_141605-1.jpg.804c428d6b944923f56f80bafd52d1ff.jpg

Edited by Plowboy

Ha!  At least this Beretta is just a model and nothing should fall off (or it's your fault for not gluing it good! ? )

American cars of that era were infuriating!   We had a Fox Capri that was just plagued with issues.  It also had the horn button on the blinker stalk. When ever you made a left turn, the horn would honk!   Traded that haunted mess off on a Nissan Stanza and never looked back!

Edited by Tom Geiger

2 hours ago, slusher said:

I like it Roger but your the one that has to be pleased..

I like it too Carl. I was just expecting it to be a little brighter. 

20201009_195322-1.jpg.949c3e0fdf46a155f1dd9fe658278195.jpg

20201009_195447-1.jpg.dcee00f9d2ebc412e4e3433334414bca.jpg

I think it's going to be a pretty cool looking little model! Especially when I get the black accents done to it.

• 3 weeks later...

Getting close to getting this thing done! I'll be almost as happy to get this project done as I was when I traded the full scale car! I have the interior done and ready to install. The hounds tooth decals wouldn't cooperate. So, I just sanded through to the detail on the inserts and door panels.

20201031_110037-1.jpg.bb414dd8fdbb9eeb63b44f612cdaab5f.jpg

20201031_110116-1.jpg.71de7c7838323b029c7ca83ba1881d9e.jpg

The chassis plate is in paint. I'm really not going to like how I'm going to have to do the final assembly on this thing! Because of the snap in nature of the chassis plate, I'm going to have to install it bare and then add the exhaust, rear suspension, engine cradle, front suspension and engine. I think that's going to be a pain! 

20201031_110347-1.jpg.d2c31bc8e739fa353c390608a9576548.jpg

I've got most of the trim painted on the body and I'm thinking that doing the mid belt molding in black will be too much black. So, I'm thinking that I'll do the center raised portion with matte aluminum foil. We'll see.  

• Like 1