Model Cars Magazine Forum

Hasagawa Ferrari 328 GTB

carl63_99

Doing another simple OOB build.  Wonderful kit, great detail.  I actually had TWO of these a long time ago, GTB and a GTS, started working on them side-by-side. A couple moves and some storage did them in. Now, taking advantage of COVID time to get it done.

First pics show my favorite method for doing deep body and panel lines. paint them in, polish them out. gives a nice crisp line without hours of masking. Color is Testors turn signal amber, with sand and tan interior.

20201113_091924.jpg

20201113_113228.jpg

Those Hasegawa kits are great, and you have a good start on them.  Hint...easier way to do those panel lines, Get some India ink, the kind that is water soluable when dry and a cheap nib pen. Flow the ink in the panel lines. Any mistakes or extra and take a damp cloth when dry and just wipe it away.  Will save you a lot of time. And the India ink has a lot of other uses too. 

On 11/14/2020 at 9:59 AM, Rich Chernosky said:

Those Hasegawa kits are great, and you have a good start on them.  Hint...easier way to do those panel lines, Get some India ink, the kind that is water soluable when dry and a cheap nib pen. Flow the ink in the panel lines. Any mistakes or extra and take a damp cloth when dry and just wipe it away.  Will save you a lot of time. And the India ink has a lot of other uses too. 

Thanks for the info. The method I use is also quick, easy and a cinch to touch up. I spent 15 minutes doing all the trim and panel lines.

9 hours ago, Italianhorses said:

If you scribe the panel lines deeper before paint, the results will be even better. And try using paint that is slightly darker than the main body color for those - like brown for the panel lines on a yellow car, or grey on silver or white, etc - it just makes it more natural.

I've seen your work, very good stuff.  I've also built a number of award-winning models and now build for fun. I am happy with how it looks now.

I built this kit several years ago. Halfway through I had a major problem. I bought another kit and ended up finishing it. My only 100% completed model ever, while I have at least 2 dozen started. a couple years ago, it got knocked off a shelf. It was in a plastic display, which I think added to the damage. a bunch of little stuff broke off. I bought a 3rd kit, but haven't started it. Someday I will build it again, it's my nemesis. 

I don't usually care for yellow, but it looks incredible on this car. Your build is going well, looking forward to seeing it completed. 

Current progress. As I tried to build this as the GTS GTB pair 20 years ago, I have more than a few spare parts. So far everything is coming together smoothly. The F40 is an old example of airbrushing then polishing the paint to get good indented detail, even though the pic isn't.

Overview.jpg

Interior WIP.jpg

Engine WIP.jpg

Body trim masking.jpg

F40 Logo.jpg