Model Cars Magazine Forum

1987 Camaro - Players GM Challenge Series

For my my last model car project of 2020 I chose to build a close replica of a 1987 Camaro that participated in the Canadian Player’s GM Challenge Series which ran for seven years from 1986 to 1992 with large fields of fabulous looking big cars that sounded wonderful. I picked an ’87 because a number of years ago I did a 1/18 scale diecast conversion for one of my favourite local race car drivers in the mid-sixties who came out of retirement to race a Camaro in the Challenge Series twenty years later so I already had the decal artwork that just needs to be scaled down. I also had an AMT ’87 Camaro in my stash albeit a T-top.

2v2HF5CCMximYT.jpg2v2HF5hzNximYT.jpg2v2HF5C6oximYT.jpg

- An AMT ’83 Camaro was cut up for its solid roof and no back seat rear interior section. Also, from the ’83 will be the rear window with simulated defrost lines’, side rear-view mirrors and headlights. Interestingly the ’83 headlights are clear while the ’87 are chrome pieces. The ’83 also supplied its taillights as the ‘87’s went missing.

- The ’87 kit has solid wheel backs and the wheels were not open between the spokes which I opened, used ’83 inner wheel rims and adapted ’83 disc brakes to mounting hubs

- The suspension on the Challenge cars was not lowered but I did lower the model about a scale 2 ½ inches by cutting the rear coils and lowering the spindles up front. Stock models usually look better lowered. I wonder if it is because models do not have the scale weight or compressible suspension or tires to settle lower. The front wheels can be posed.

- The exhaust system was modified for side exit aluminum tube straight pipes which in reality could be opened up for racing or capped off for the street

- Driveshaft converted to aluminum tubing

- Cut away forward part of engine compartment between the headlight housings to allow better expose of the air cleaner

2v2HF5iMnximYT.jpg

On 12/12/2020 at 1:49 PM, Can-Con said:

Looks like you got a good start on it Phil. 

And the diecast looks cool too.

22 hours ago, Scalper said:

Loved this series. Rob fellows was king.  Nice work. This is great. 

Thanks guys. I have done some more work on the interior

2v2Hdv1zFximYT.jpg

- The no back seat and cargo area from the ’83 was grafted to the ’87 interior

- The separate arm rests from the ’83 have been attached to the inner door panels

- I was initially very pleased when I discovered that a roll cage was supplied in the ’87 kit but it required extensive modifications to more closely resemble that used in the Challenge cars and to fit the ’83 roof and windshield.

- The racing style driver’s seat came from the ’83 kit but the engraved racing harness was ground off so after market harnesses can be added

8 hours ago, Sam I Am said:

I like this. It reminds me of the I.R.O.C. series that ran here in the states around the same time.

Thanks Sam - Very similar cars competed in the USA in the Firestone Firehawk Series. The IROC cars were tube frame - fiberglass bodied cars where as the Players and Firehawk cars were considered showroom stock with some enhancements to make them reliable and safe for racing.

The longer I work on this AMT "87 Camaro, the more I think the AMT  '83 Camaro is a better kit and wonder why AMT did not up date the '83 for later configurations. I was not pleased how the '87 engine compartment looked from both above and below. I grafted in the '83 hood latch area and top of the forward bulkhead as well as the shock mount tops into the upper engine compartment. The angle of the shock mounts should have been more horizontal but they look closer to reality than the protrusions that were there before. The forward end of the '87 chassis ended abruptly so the '83 provided the appropriate assembly to which the bottom of the radiator was securely attached.

2v2HdBBQoximYT.jpg2v2HdBBZzximYT.jpg2v2HdBSJrximYT.jpg

I have done some painting assembly. As a result of looking at these photos I have modified and installed the catalytic converter from the '83, made longer exhaust tips, got the wheels to fit inside the fenders a little deeper and put the overflow tank and windshield washer reservoir on the correct sides. I am next going to finish the interior. 

2v2HdrnC8ximYT.jpg2v2HdrngzximYT.jpg2v2HdrnG2ximYT.jpg

Edited by Phildaupho

• 2 weeks later...
10 hours ago, Intmd8r said:

Awesome work!

I loved watching the Player’s series as a kid and have been wanting to do a similar build. You have provided great inspiration.

Thanks Steve - I assembled everything today so all that is left is the livery which will go on tomorrow - New Years Eve for my eleventh completion for 2020. Hope to get it Under Glass before 2021. If I was to do another Camaro Players Challenge car I use either the AMT '83 or the Revell 1/24 with parts from the parts from the Revell 1/24 1990 Firebird.

Happy New Year

2v2H5phM8ximYT.jpg