Model Cars Magazine Forum

Past builds from a newer member

Dave72

On 1/20/2021 at 7:19 PM, Tom Geiger said:

Great work! Thanks for sharing them with us! Taking them out of storage is like finding old friends’

On 1/20/2021 at 7:33 PM, gseeds said:

Very awesome looking cars ! 

On 1/23/2021 at 3:10 PM, RAMBENNA said:

sweet job , they all look great

On 1/23/2021 at 6:17 PM, Dragonhawk1066 said:

Outstanding work!!

Thank you very much guys! Very much appreciated!

On 1/23/2021 at 6:46 PM, bisc63 said:

Love your building style and paintwork. The Mopar is particularly realistic, and the color combo on the Willys is flat out SHARP! I'd like to see that color scheme on the '63 Impala! ( one of my sentimental favorites)

Thanks a lot Rusty! I do agree, those colors would look good on the Impala. Looking back now, I wish I would’ve painted that car a different color. 

8 hours ago, Claude Thibodeau said:

Hi Dave!

Wow, great inventory! Luckily for us, you found some time to "unpack the gems". World class!

Your mastery of paint application and finishing is clear. Can you expand a bit on your clearing and polishing techniques?  I ,for one, could benefit!

CT 

Hi Claude, thank you for the compliment! I normally use Duplicolor clear, 3 light coats followed by a heavy final coat. Let it sit for a day or two, then start wet sanding with 1200 very carefully, then 1500. Do this in sections making sure the surface is completely wet sanded. No orange peel left, then move on to the next section. After that, follow the same statagy of sections and polish with Meguires Miracle Glaze rubbing compound with two pieces of old t-shirt. One to do the polishing, one to wipe clean. Once done, hours later, LOL, soap and water scrub.  Hope this helps. Please let me know if I can help with any further questions you might have. Best advice I can give ya, take your time! I normally don’t wet sand and polish in ove sitting. Sometimes it can take up to a week. Bad thing is, the longer you wait, the harder the clear gets and the polishing takes longer. It is rewarding though when your done! 

34 minutes ago, Dave72 said:

Hi Claude, thank you for the compliment! I normally use Duplicolor clear, 3 light coats followed by a heavy final coat. Let it sit for a day or two, then start wet sanding with 1200 very carefully, then 1500. Do this in sections making sure the surface is completely wet sanded. No orange peel left, then move on to the next section. After that, follow the same statagy of sections and polish with Meguires Miracle Glaze rubbing compound with two pieces of old t-shirt. One to do the polishing, one to wipe clean. Once done, hours later, LOL, soap and water scrub.  Hope this helps. Please let me know if I can help with any further questions you might have. Best advice I can give ya, take your time! I normally don’t wet sand and polish in ove sitting. Sometimes it can take up to a week. Bad thing is, the longer you wait, the harder the clear gets and the polishing takes longer. It is rewarding though when your done! 

Hi Dave!

Thank for the detailed reply, Just what I wanted. 

Actually, my technique is the same as yours, except I never used the Duplicolor clear. And I use Farecla rapid cut compound. But, you are the second person I know who achieves great results with it, the other being a friend here in the Great White North. So, I guess I'll give it a try on my next model. 

I am a fan of Testor's Wet Look clear: easy to apply, virtually never runs, and the perfect viscosity to achieve a glass look even before polishing (at least, in my experience!). Alas, Testor's is going out of the paint market, and my reserve is drying up slowly... Tamya's TS-13 is fine, but much thinner, hence more coats (hello orange peel) and even at that, sometimes prone to rub-trough at polishing time (don't ask me how I know...). The new Revell line is good, but somehow, it is even more "thin" than TS-13. 

So, Duplicolor experiment, here I come. 

Here's a pic of Wet Look on one of my built... 

CT 

DSC00593.JPG

2 hours ago, Claude Thibodeau said:

Hi Dave!

Thank for the detailed reply, Just what I wanted. 

Actually, my technique is the same as yours, except I never used the Duplicolor clear. And I use Farecla rapid cut compound. But, you are the second person I know who achieves great results with it, the other being a friend here in the Great White North. So, I guess I'll give it a try on my next model. 

I am a fan of Testor's Wet Look clear: easy to apply, virtually never runs, and the perfect viscosity to achieve a glass look even before polishing (at least, in my experience!). Alas, Testor's is going out of the paint market, and my reserve is drying up slowly... Tamya's TS-13 is fine, but much thinner, hence more coats (hello orange peel) and even at that, sometimes prone to rub-trough at polishing time (don't ask me how I know...). The new Revell line is good, but somehow, it is even more "thin" than TS-13. 

So, Duplicolor experiment, here I come. 

Here's a pic of Wet Look on one of my built... 

CT 

DSC00593.JPG

Very nice! I have heard of the Testors Wet Look Clear. Seems like quite a few people like it. That’s a lacquer correct? The Duplicolor does go on a little dry if the coats are light. Ugh orange peel. It does take some practice to spray on a nice wet coat without the dreaded run. My next go to for paint is House of Kolor but that gets expensive!  I do like the Duplicolor because it seams to agree with a lot of other paint. I’ve used it over everything from Tamiya to Rustolium Camo green! And it is easy to get. Most auto parts stores have it. Bad thing is it takes just the right thickness of coats and a fair amount of polishing work. I wish it looked as good as the Testers. I have been thinking of looking for a different clear though. 

6 minutes ago, Dave72 said:

Very nice! I have heard of the Testors Wet Look Clear. Seems like quite a few people like it. That’s a lacquer correct? The Duplicolor does go on a little dry if the coats are light. Ugh orange peel. It does take some practice to spray on a nice wet coat without the dreaded run. My next go to for paint is House of Kolor but that gets expensive!  I do like the Duplicolor because it seams to agree with a lot of other paint. I’ve used it over everything from Tamiya to Rustolium Camo green! And it is easy to get. Most auto parts stores have it. Bad thing is it takes just the right thickness of coats and a fair amount of polishing work. I wish it looked as good as the Testers. I have been thinking of looking for a different clear though. 

HI Dave!

You are right about HOK Show Klear Urethane: I use it on my 1/1 cars, and it is world class: medium thickness, great flow, extreme shine, but... Once catalized and fully cured, mucho difficulto to polish to perfection. On a steel body, no problem, you just rub or polish harder. On a flimsy styrene scale body... a gentle approachj is needed. 

Ultimately, I guess we are a bunch of hard to satisfy fellas... LOL. 

CT 

11 minutes ago, Claude Thibodeau said:

HI Dave!

You are right about HOK Show Klear Urethane: I use it on my 1/1 cars, and it is world class: medium thickness, great flow, extreme shine, but... Once catalized and fully cured, mucho difficulto to polish to perfection. On a steel body, no problem, you just rub or polish harder. On a flimsy styrene scale body... a gentle approachj is needed. 

Ultimately, I guess we are a bunch of hard to satisfy fellas... LOL. 

CT 

You got that right Claude!  Never satisfied! LOL!