Model Cars Magazine Forum

Few years back I had a Silverado come into the shop with a complaint of oil consumption, truck had 28,000 miles on it, it was low on oil, put it on the lift to look for possible leaks, dry as a bone, then noticed the filter had a red label on it......., 28,000 miles with no oil change! 

On 2/17/2021 at 8:55 PM, tbill said:

Few years back I had a Silverado come into the shop with a complaint of oil consumption, truck had 28,000 miles on it, it was low on oil, put it on the lift to look for possible leaks, dry as a bone, then noticed the filter had a red label on it......., 28,000 miles with no oil change! 

I missed your post last week Bill.  Thats crazy. I'm sure tho, that's is probably more common then we would think.  Not so much anymore, I don't know if it's because of the newage computorized engines, but I remember many times driving behind cars that the exhaust had a oder of old oil and  I always assumed the idiots hadn't changed oil in ages.

This thing is still going?

GM frames, front subframes, engine cradles, control arms and sometimes other things were suspended from an overhead conveyor. As they approached a tank of Chassis Black the conveyor dipped down and submerged the part then rose out of the tank and traveled for several feet over a long drip pan that caught most of the drippings. But for many feet beyond the end of the drip pan were more drips on the floor. Of course, there were smaller tanks for subframes and even smaller ones for small parts.

Factory Chassis Black is not paint. It's a semi-soft asphalt coating in a thicker liquid consistency. I can't remember for sure if they heated it or not but it probably was to set up as fast as it did. It stunk in the area like it does when you roll by a new road asphalt job. New frames, etc, have runs and sags everywhere.

About  oil changes.....The assembly plants often built cars with defects that were too expensive to fix. So if they were driveable they distributed them to the factories to use on site only. They NEVER wasted money on oil changes, tires, or anything else. Just keep putting gas into it until it couldn't be used anymore. Then scrap it and write it off.

3 hours ago, Cowpunk said:

This thing is still going?

GM frames, front subframes, engine cradles, control arms and sometimes other things were suspended from an overhead conveyor. As they approached a tank of Chassis Black the conveyor dipped down and submerged the part then rose out of the tank and traveled for several feet over a long drip pan that caught most of the drippings. But for many feet beyond the end of the drip pan were more drips on the floor. Of course, there were smaller tanks for subframes and even smaller ones for small parts.

Factory Chassis Black is not paint. It's a semi-soft asphalt coating in a thicker liquid consistency. I can't remember for sure if they heated it or not but it probably was to set up as fast as it did. It stunk in the area like it does when you roll by a new road asphalt job. New frames, etc, have runs and sags everywhere.

About  oil changes.....The assembly plants often built cars with defects that were too expensive to fix. So if they were driveable they distributed them to the factories to use on site only. They NEVER wasted money on oil changes, tires, or anything else. Just keep putting gas into it until it couldn't be used anymore. Then scrap it and write it off.

I wonder until what model year that asphalt process was being done.

I am the second owner of a 1994 S-10 pickup that was built at Shreveport and has never been more than 150 miles away from the original selling dealer in Roseville, CA. Bought it from the original owner neighbor with 59k in 2008. It has "something" on the rear axle, front control arms and the frame and crossmembers that isn't really paint, but it is some kind of black-ish coating. It needs an oil change, and I will snap some pics when I am underneath.