Model Cars Magazine Forum

how is the amt wild hoss?

i love the 78/79 ford bronco kit and after research, it seems that the AMT wild hoss is the only one thats made. the revell/monogram version is the 80 version, which has a different front grill and other minor differences

This kit doesnt look like it has been rebox at all, so on ebay its silly expensive. Before i spend a ton of money on this kit, how well does it build up? is it a good quality, straight forward kit or is it a nightmare to put together.  I am not a fan of AMT kits, and generally think revell kits are much better. However, i know there are some AMT kits that are great

Any help is greatly appreciated

Here's a few pics of mine. It's an original I bought and built sometime in the early '80s. It's due for a rebuild and I even have a sheet of replacement decals for it. 

It's one of those "I'll get around to it someday" jobs.

Only change I had made is the Desert Dog tires. It comes with the same ones as in the "Superstones" Ford pickup. This kit is in fact very similar to that one and I think they share some parts.

131 3108

131 3109

131 3110

131 3111

131 3112

131 3113

1 minute ago, Plowboy said:

The Wild Hoss is usually crazy expensive. You can get the Model King reissue with a trailer and Cougar F/C cheaper. Plus have some trading fodder to offset the cost. Plus, it has a lot nicer wheels and tires with it.

Pretty sure it has the same wheels Roger. 

The Ford "wagon wheels" mine has on it

OEM Ford F-150 Truck Wheels | Stock Used Factory Rims | Truck wheels, Wheel  rims, Ford

and a set of alloy wheels like this,

1979 Ford Truck F150 Rims, 1979 Ford Truck F150 Wheels at OriginalWheels.com

24 minutes ago, Plowboy said:

The Wild Hoss is usually crazy expensive. You can get the Model King reissue with a trailer and Cougar F/C cheaper. Plus have some trading fodder to offset the cost. Plus, it has a lot nicer wheels and tires with it.

shoot, i didnt know the model king reissued it. unfortunately i already bought the amt kit. There is 1 of the model king version on ebay, and its 20 dollars less than what i bought (and as you said, it has a trailer and another car). i had done so much searching on ebay and google for reissues and couldnt find anything. i should have asked here first.

EDIT: well, my birthday is in 1 month, so my wife agreed to get me the model king version for my birthday. this way i can have the nice trailer too. i dont mind having more than one

Edited by youpey