Model Cars Magazine Forum

Looking for a color match

Looking for recommendations for a color that closely matches the interior of this 1998 Crown Victoria. The official Ford color is called Dark Denim Blue. I don't really care if it's a hobby paint or not, I just want it to be spray paint and available. I've been going crazy looking at multiple Tamiya, Krylon, Rustoleum, etc blues to find a close match. Thank you in advance.  

wminterior-306.jpg

Try Intermediate Blue (FS35164). I was happy with it on my 97. I don't think it's too far off.

Tamiya AS19 or Testor's Model Master Enamel 1920 (both spray) are two of the matches for it. I've never tried the Tamiya; the Testor's is what I used, but it may be getting hard to find. There are a lot of FS to hobby paint conversion charts on the internet.

Edited by SSNJim

13 hours ago, SSNJim said:

Try Intermediate Blue (FS35164). I was happy with it on my 97. I don't think it's too far off.

Tamiya AS19 or Testor's Model Master Enamel 1920 (both spray) are two of the matches for it. I've never tried the Tamiya; the Testor's is what I used, but it may be getting hard to find. There are a lot of FS to hobby paint conversion charts on the internet.

I tried Tamiya AS19 and the color is more of a light/bright blue than a true intermediate blue. I would love to find Testors/Model Master Intermediate blue, but it's unavailable anywhere. 

46 minutes ago, SCRWDRVR said:

You could possibly find a color in paint like this to use also, I've used the Dupli-color beige for a kit interior before worked good I thought.

511MRD1qDfL._AC_SL1000_.jpg

Hmm that might be one option. Thank you.

Looks exactly like the colour I use on dash panels I make for a classis car owners club. It's called gunmetal grey by Auto Extreme, looks nothing like grey, more like grey primer with a blue hue to it. It's actually a pretty nice colour. I did the carpet on my recent build with it. I bought a job lot of twenty cans about two years ago, I think they're still available.

gunmetal.jpg

interior.jpg

1 hour ago, doorsovdoon said:

Looks exactly like the colour I use on dash panels I make for a classis car owners club. It's called gunmetal grey by Auto Extreme, looks nothing like grey, more like grey primer with a blue hue to it. It's actually a pretty nice colour. I did the carpet on my recent build with it. I bought a job lot of twenty cans about two years ago, I think they're still available.

That actually looks pretty darn good! Unfortunately I wasn't able to find that specific paint online. Do you remember where you purchased it (if online)?

1 minute ago, av405 said:

That actually looks pretty darn good! Unfortunately I wasn't able to find that specific paint online. Do you remember where you purchased it (if online)?

I got them on sale at one of those bargain warehouses where they sell out of date and defective items for a few quid. I looked online and they are available on ebay but in the UK. Here's a link, but postage to the U.S might be prohibitive, though you never know, I've bought smaller items myself from the U.S and postage wasn't a killer.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/333643288516?var=542739281007&hash=item4daeb08fc4:g:5OIAAOSwdg9fMSX5