Forum will be Offline for Server Maintenance ×
Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell '57 Corvette Deluxe Kit 6669

Hello everyone . I recently picked up this Revell 57 Corvette kit in a flea mkt , 15$ CDN . " Everything Included ".

Tires have a separate white plastic ring that will insert to make white walls .

Are there any aftermarket companies out there that would carry a tire I could use instead of these ?

Thanks.

Robert.

Hi Mark . I think we'll go with the wide white walls on these . Having a second look they should do us allright .

This will be our 1st Corvette build , looking at paint jobs on these cars it appears as if we have some taping to do on each side

for the white area and the " finish "  colour . There seems to be a chrome strip between the 2 colours .

Out of all the 'vettes we found on-line there were only a couple where the entire body was one solid colour , the box art

also .

Any idea as to how old this kit is ?

That is a Monogram kit that dates back to the late Seventies, one of their better ones from back then.  Early issues had radial tires with raised lettering.  The whitewall insert tires (which are older than the kit) were put in after the first few issues.

Most Corvettes 1956-61 were two-tone, only a handful were one color.  I believe the hard top should match the main body color and not the side cove.

It's a nice kit. I recently built the Monogram version. 

The only real challenge I had was the windshield.  After I glued the chrome frame to the windshield I realized that it made the chrome much too wide to fit the body correctly.  I ended up drilling and pinning the frame to the body. 

Otherwise it's a great kit for it's day.

1 hour ago, rob1957 said:

Hi Mark . I think we'll go with the wide white walls on these . Having a second look they should do us allright .

This will be our 1st Corvette build , looking at paint jobs on these cars it appears as if we have some taping to do on each side

for the white area and the " finish "  colour . There seems to be a chrome strip between the 2 colours .

Out of all the 'vettes we found on-line there were only a couple where the entire body was one solid colour , the box art

also .

Any idea as to how old this kit is ?

Hi, Robert,

yesterday I posted in the "under glass" car section some pics of the initial (Monogram) version of this kit - out-of-the-box: it was molded in red plastic, built well (I don't remember any issues) - this one has the radial tires with raised lettering - I built it in 1985, the kit was made in about 1979 - IIRC.

Hi Helmut . I will have a look at that posting . 

We're just starting to determine what a nice colour for this build will be . Our first convertible kit.  We're trying to

determine a plan of attack for painting and taping the cove area on each side . This will be something new for us .

Any suggestions as to how we may approach this paint scheme would be appreciated .

The 'vette painted by member Harry Callahan was really nice , looks very crisp .

Thanks.

Robert.