Model Cars Magazine Forum

39 Ford Sedan

I did a bunch of work to the ol 39.... The original intention was to just install a dropped axle but things snowballed.  But I fixed a lot of little things and I'm very happy with it. It drives so much better!

So, I did a dropped axle, but it was too low so the tires wouldn't turn so I raised it back up about an inch by putting an extra leaf in the front spring. While the suspension was out, I noticed the motor mount biscuits were collapsed and the oil pan was riding on the crossmember. So, I fixed that an replaced the oil pan gasket. 

I also did a front sway bar and new Bilstein shocks.  In the rear I installed a Posies lowering spring. Overall it was a 1.5" drop in the rear and a little over 1" drop in the front. Subtle but worth it! 

There was slop in the steering box so I adjusted that out of it, and man oh man it drives a lot better, and looks better. 

IMG_2758.jpg

IMG_2757 (1).jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 12/4/2021 at 9:23 PM, Dan Hay said:

I did a bunch of work to the ol 39.... The original intention was to just install a dropped axle but things snowballed.  But I fixed a lot of little things and I'm very happy with it. It drives so much better!

So, I did a dropped axle, but it was too low so the tires wouldn't turn so I raised it back up about an inch by putting an extra leaf in the front spring. While the suspension was out, I noticed the motor mount biscuits were collapsed and the oil pan was riding on the crossmember. So, I fixed that an replaced the oil pan gasket. 

I also did a front sway bar and new Bilstein shocks.  In the rear I installed a Posies lowering spring. Overall it was a 1.5" drop in the rear and a little over 1" drop in the front. Subtle but worth it! 

There was slop in the steering box so I adjusted that out of it, and man oh man it drives a lot better, and looks better. 

IMG_2758.jpg

IMG_2757 (1).jpg

I really like all the things you have done to this since you got it. The next time you try lowering or raising the front end look at how the shackles may affect your ride height. 

• Like 1