Model Cars Magazine Forum

Chrome Plating Resin Parts?

On 12/26/2021 at 10:49 AM, Dave72 said:

Sounds good. I’m curious to see their response. I have a couple builds that would look so much better with rechroming parts vs Alclad. 

Here's their response:  "We have a minimum charge for small parts processed separately of $35.00ea or $65.00 for a 6x8in rack/tree."

I'm going to get the Alsa Corp Easy Chrome kit.  I can chrome many parts with it.  I only have 2 bumpers to chrome now and it'll cost $70.  That's crazy.

5 hours ago, crowe-t said:

Here's their response:  "We have a minimum charge for small parts processed separately of $35.00ea or $65.00 for a 6x8in rack/tree."

I'm going to get the Alsa Corp Easy Chrome kit.  I can chrome many parts with it.  I only have 2 bumpers to chrome now and it'll cost $70.  That's crazy.

Thanks for the info. Much appreciated. I hear ya, add the shipping and you’re at $80 for a couple of pieces. I might look into the Alsa kit as well. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/11/2021 at 8:54 PM, SfanGoch said:

I'm not into using spray cans to paint/apply a finish on relatively small parts. Most of what one sprays is is waste because, contrary to what some spray bomb proponents claim, there is no precise control of the pattern or volume of the material being sprayed. Also, a fairly large percentage of the indicated weight is propellant, not product.

You can use any decent (excluding c_rap "craft" paints :D ) gloss black. You can even use semigloss or flat black and spray the included basecoat over either to achieve a smooth, high gloss surface. The urethane basecoat is a single stage, water-based product. You can thin it with tap or distilled water to improve flow. Fortunately, NYC has the best tap water and we don't have to worry about stalagmites forming in our kitchen sinks. :D

I really wish they would off a lower cost airbrush friendly option. What i mean is the chrome spray by itself in a small quantity without all the other stuff, so it would come out cheaper than the 12oz spray bomb. I may go with the 12oz spray to get my feet wet, so to speak, based on your recommendation. But like you said, you're wasting quite a bit with the spray can instead of airbrush.

Maybe someone should start a new topic with this to keep it focused on what appears to be a possibly revolutionary product for our hobby?

Edited by Mr. Metallic