Model Cars Magazine Forum

Looking for a BGN gm V6

Vince66

Ok was hoping for maybe a resin or other media 

As my cutting skills suck after nerve damage in my hands from when I rolled a tractor trailer thanks to a driver under the influence

Much appreciated though 

How much and where would I need to make the cut(s)

Edited by Vince66

Vince,

Hopeful these pics might help you some.  I started the same 1990 BGN Pontiac project a few years ago and the following pics will show you just how far I got.  I am using the 1/25  AMT/Ertl 1990 Pontiac Grand Pix Nascar kit for this build... here's a brief description of how I downsized that kit's Nascar V8 to a BGN V6.  I started by gluing together the engine block halves, and then I cut the engine block at the centerline on the side.  I did this same cut for the heads and valve covers, too.   I wish I could remember how much I cut-out to equal one bank of cylinders, but I'm hopeful the ruler showing in these pics will guide you to where I ended-up at length-wise.  I cut/shortened the oil pan just ahead of it's deeper section; if you look closely at the 2nd pic, you can see a small nick in the edge of the oil pan which is the cutline's location.

I also planned my build to be an after-the-race, short-track race car, so I've weathered the engine to represent that.

V6BGN Pontiac-Dside.jpg

V6BGN Pontiac-Pside.jpg

Edited by '70 Grande
  • Thanks 1

Next, I glued the cut-down/reassembled heads and valve covers to the block. I modified the intake manifold by cutting it down in two places, (1st: taking-out a small-section between the radiator hose hole-opening and the front of the intakes and a 2nd: in the same location right in front of the distributor mounting hole).  These 2 cuts kept the intakes into the heads pretty-much "as is" from the V8... probably not correct for the 1:1 world, but the air cleaner covers-up so much of that intake manifold anyway that I don't think it really matters.  By weathering this engine, I think it'll hide some of the imperfections in this cut-down V8.  The following pics will show you how it will look from the front view and also inside the kit's frame/body.

V6BGN Pontiac-Front.jpg

V6BGN PontiacEng P-side.jpg

V6BGNEng D-side.jpg

1 hour ago, '70 Grande said:

Next, I glued the cut-down/reassembled heads and valve covers to the block. I modified the intake manifold by cutting it down in two places, (1st: taking-out a small-section between the radiator hose hole-opening and the front of the intakes and a 2nd: in the same location right in front of the distributor mounting hole).  These 2 cuts kept the intakes into the heads pretty-much "as is" from the V8... probably not correct for the 1:1 world, but the air cleaner covers-up so much of that intake manifold anyway that I don't think it really matters.  By weathering this engine, I think it'll hide some of the imperfections in this cut-down V8.  The following pics will show you how it will look from the front view and also inside the kit's frame/body.

V6BGN Pontiac-Front.jpg

V6BGN PontiacEng P-side.jpg

V6BGNEng D-side.jpg

Very nicely done

Yeah mine is starting from the monogram #66 trop artic kit but I'm building it as a BGN car