Model Cars Magazine Forum

1963 Chevy II NHRA SS/RA ca. 1975

Looking good! B)

Just since you asked for comments...

You might want to go back and try cleaning up the edges of your foil. By coincidence, I'm finishing up a '62 Nova drag car that I used some foil on (the rest will be Silver Sharpie). It took me a bit of time to get the edges cleaned up and straight, but it was all well worth it. 

Also, next time you have the camera out, could we see some pics of your slapper bars? I need to make a pair of those. Thanks! B)

62NovaB50.jpg.e30925c76799241147754ed84cf0deb6.jpg

62NovaB54.jpg.c9d61e22ba2bde8b27cb4eb96ee112b0.jpg

62NovaB57.jpg.977da73b836b26c3ab86403b3b0c8cf9.jpg

39 minutes ago, Snake45 said:

Looking good! B)

Just since you asked for comments...

You might want to go back and try cleaning up the edges of your foil. By coincidence, I'm finishing up a '62 Nova drag car that I used some foil on (the rest will be Silver Sharpie). It took me a bit of time to get the edges cleaned up and straight, but it was all well worth it. 

Also, next time you have the camera out, could we see some pics of your slapper bars? I need to make a pair of those. Thanks! B)

62NovaB50.jpg.e30925c76799241147754ed84cf0deb6.jpg

62NovaB54.jpg.c9d61e22ba2bde8b27cb4eb96ee112b0.jpg

62NovaB57.jpg.977da73b836b26c3ab86403b3b0c8cf9.jpg

You're right, about the foil. It's a new(er) sheet I bought about 4 years ago. Adhesive is awful! I got so tired of fighting it, I finally decided to try some Detail Master foil, that, according to the price tag was received by the store I bought it from in February of '96. It went on, beautifully. Go figure. I will probably attempt to clean the foil up, some. I'm not thrilled about it,  however! 😀

Edited by Straightliner59

4 hours ago, Snake45 said:

BTW, mine's just cheap kitchen foil and Micro Metal Foil Adhesive. Much cheaper and more reliable than BMF, especially if you use as little foil as I do. 

Yes, I need to pick up some MMFA. I despise foiling, and anything that makes it any easier is just fine, by me! I actually used aluminum duct tape, to do the "rock guards" along the sides as well as the side window tracks and wing windows. 

Here are the slapper bars. They're .080"x.125" Evergreen strip for the bars, .030" half round for the mounting "bolts" and snubbers made of any old, round stock you can find that fits, sanded to a cone. I just glued these right to the springs, and called it good, being a curbside, and all! In case you'd like something a little more detailed, here's a how-to I put together for the old StraightLineModeler website.

2DSC_0002cr.jpg

2DSC_0004cr.jpg

2DSC_0009cr.jpg

Slappers.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Nah, milling it down would be easiser. Though I am gonna have to laminate the rear spring shackes. Somewhere I have a whole package of various thicknesses of plastic, but I can't find it, so I'm gonna have to laminate up some .020" stock (which I can find some of)  to get something thick enough to be believable. 

BTW, you've seen my E/MP '65 Chevelle wagon, haven't you? I won't post a pic here if you've already seen it. Your project reminds me a bit of it. B)

3 hours ago, Snake45 said:

Nah, milling it down would be easiser. Though I am gonna have to laminate the rear spring shackes. Somewhere I have a whole package of various thicknesses of plastic, but I can't find it, so I'm gonna have to laminate up some .020" stock (which I can find some of)  to get something thick enough to be believable. 

BTW, you've seen my E/MP '65 Chevelle wagon, haven't you? I won't post a pic here if you've already seen it. Your project reminds me a bit of it. B)

I am pretty sure I have,  but, a refresher never hurts!

• Straightliner59 changed the title to 1963 Chevy II NHRA SS/RA ca. 1975