Model Cars Magazine Forum

Looking for the best 1932 Ford frame in kitform

I have searched around here, I'm sure I have seen it somewhere but can't seem to find it now.
So, what is the very best 1:25 or 1:24 rendition of a 1932 Ford passengercar frame?
Is there a kit that has the best one or is there a aftermarket one that is the best?

Brian makes a good point.

Exactly what you want to build will be the determining factor as to which one is "best".

The better kit-sourced '32 frames are for the most part set up for more modern running gear.

If you want to build one stock, or an earlier-style hot rod, there are a fair number of hoops to jump through.

Seems there used to be a cast metal stock frame, but I haven't come across one in at least a decade.

I want to say that Replicas and Miniatures had one too, but I could very well be wrong on that.

44 minutes ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

Seems there used to be a cast metal stock frame, but I haven't come across one in at least a decade.

I want to say that Replicas and Miniatures had one too, but I could very well be wrong on that.

R and D Unique did for sure.  Long out of production.  I have one or two in the stash that I bought new.  There were different configurations.   But I don't recollect period running gear, although they could have. 

I know Replicas and Miniatures did 32 Ford frame rails for sure but would need to research if more than that.  It's not an area that I do a lot of modeling in.

Edited by Exotics_Builder

Here's a little more info.

The Revell '32 Ford frames are WAY better than most of the AMT early kit offerings.

The main problem if you're building a period rod is that the Revell frames are set up for coil springs and a '57 and later Ford 9" rear end.

Most early rods and stockers used a transverse leaf or "buggy" spring.

Converting the Revell frames to the earlier configuration isn't particularly difficult, but it does take some careful work, measuring, and research and thought about what you're trying to accomplish.

Pages 3 and 4 of this thread show the steps involved to rework the Revell frames to take an A or T rear buggy spring, in order to accommodate a quick-change rear end. Modifying the frame to take stock '32 rear suspension is similar.

If you want to build a more recent style rod on '32 rails, with independent front suspension, the AMT Phantom Vickie is an excellent starting point.

1932 Ford Phantom Vickie (2'n 1) (1/25) (fs)

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

Thanks you very much for all the replies.
I knew I had seen threads on here about this before.
My current idea for a model is actually mostly just a frame with an engine bolted in it and a stock look would be the best. It is a sort of "forest wreck" diorama idea I got and I'm not sure I would need suspension on it and if so it would be the front suspension only.