Model Cars Magazine Forum

Project510's WIP Workbench

Project510

Chassis is done, has been done for a few days. Have just been waiting for paint in the mail.

spacer.png

Was trying to locate paint that matched the OEM color from Honda Celestial blue. Found a pretty damn close option from Mr. Color and I think it turned out great. Its a bit too dark but out of the jar was the closest I could find. I'm happy with it. Once I get the black trim and window rubber areas painted should look pretty good.

spacer.png

• Like 2

Been a busy week, but not with modeling work. Too many birthdays, and baby showers, and kids sports practice and school. I did manage to get the black trim paint work done.

Not 100% happy with it, but think it will harder to remove it and retry. Just need to do a better job taping off the car and probably a bit more patience painting. 

spacer.png

Also got time to put the stuffing on the cones for the rocket to see how it looks. It didnt come out how I thought it would, but the wife and kid saw it and they liked it so works for me! I did decide to trim that center cone so they are even. I will also add some orange and red paint so he gets the effect in both day and night. Night time will have the leds lighting it up.

spacer.png

• Like 1

On 2/5/2022 at 11:10 PM, Spottedlaurel said:

Interesting kit on the bottom left, is that a rebox of the Revell kit? I have a couple of versions of the Hasegawa kit, looks good.

I like the projects you have planned and underway.

On 2/6/2022 at 11:36 AM, Project510 said:

Officially I do not know, I would have to Google it to research. It does look identical in size and parts trees if I remember correctly. Ill pull it out and take a look when I have less BLAH_BLAH_BLAH_BLAH all over the work bench.

Yes, Union Model managed to get the Revell Datsun molds and make a few kits back in the 80's. The BRE 510, Z, and the Brock Buster where done by them. For a long time, they where one of the only available issues of these kits, the other being Lodela of Mexico and their re-issues of these kits. 

I only know this because I am Datsun Nerd! LOL! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 3/23/2023 at 6:43 AM, Daddyfink said:

Yes, Union Model managed to get the Revell Datsun molds and make a few kits back in the 80's. The BRE 510, Z, and the Brock Buster where done by them. For a long time, they where one of the only available issues of these kits, the other being Lodela of Mexico and their re-issues of these kits. 

I only know this because I am Datsun Nerd! LOL! 

Same here, my old car Ill never get over selling.

spacer.png

Not a lot of updates this week. Some good and bad news. Bad news first. I did not like how the window trim came out, was at first going to leave it because it felt more difficult to correct but I couldn't just leave stuff alone so I tried to fix it and cracked the body above the windshield. So I will be working on that this week.

spacer.png

I pivoted to painting the Saturn V, but noticed clouds of paint spray in the booth so I knew something was wrong. Apparently I have neglected the 3 layer filter for too long and its badly clogged. 

My Artograph 1530 is discontinued, but thankfully MicroMark still sells the filters so I purchased a couple of them to last a long time

spacer.png

So some good news... My brother finished 3D printing all my requested pieces to add some organization to the workbench. I was able to get a lot of stuff off the table to have more space to work. I'm pretty excited. 3D printed parts include 4 cylinder type containers for q-tips tooth pics etc. 2 tall cases to hold tools, 2 nipper/plier holders, 1 flat tray to hold tweezers and pin vise. He also printed this wire holder bracket I added a 3/8 dowel to. And lastly the l brackets for the shelves. Black walnut is a bit much to hold $5 jars of paint but it was scrap wood from my pile and it looks cool haha. The baskets were $12 from Home Depot. Also, the tamiya tape holder is great. I added some tool box tray liner to the bottom to prevent it from sliding around. Works pretty good!

spacer.png

Edited by Project510
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Wasnt happy with the CRX sooooo.. I started over.

spacer.png

Also, I got the filters in from MicroMark. Happy to have them, and they work... but they are easily 1/3 the same thickness. So while they are cheaper, I would assume they will last a no where near the original. Good thing I bought more than 1. 

Because I had the CRX almost done (so I thought) I brought another kit I have had half built in a box for over a decade not knowing I would restart the paint on the CRX. I painted it a looooong time ago, and it was nice, but wanted to use this kit as a practice dummy. I've sanded down and repainted it twice in the last few weeks. I was the Good Guys show here in Ca and saw a truck that had some really nice patina on it and got inspired so I started practicing some weathering. Generally I would had done this from the start, so as you sand down you get the right colors but its a good excuse to practice adding rust, and weathering etc. Its been fun. I think I will leave it like this.

spacer.png

I couldnt just leave it alone haha. I wasnt super satisfied. Gave Youtube and Google a search for alternative ways to find the look I was going for. What a rabbit hole that was... I do think I found a way to get it done once and for all. So that was started yesterday.

First, was to sand off as much of the teal as I could. Then paint it all a rust ish brown. I added some orange and red to the brown I had on hand. works for me.

spacer.png

Then I tried to look for a factory color from 64 and I settled on Dark Blue (63 was Balboa Blue) and this was the closest I could get without purchasing paint.

spacer.png

Finally. Im pretty sure this is the one. I think its more realistic. Still have the heavy rust spots to add as well as sanding the bed. I'm super happy with this.

spacer.png

Also trying to figure out the wheel situation..

spacer.png

• Like 1

• 11 months later...

Have not posted in here in a while. I guess I should update progress.

I finished the CRX for my sons bedroom shelf as he requested. Granted this was the 2nd kit I had built in almost 2 decades its not that great.

spacer.png

My sons next request as mentioned in previous posts was a Saturn V rocket. He also wanted it to look like it was blasting off and I did the best I could with some LEDs. That is also done.

spacer.pngspacer.png

I have not finished the 64 Chevy pickup. I am debating making it into a little diorama to display. 

I have also started this kit as part of a 6 month Group Build on the MSC forum. I am about to cross the finish line, just laid down clear. need to attach a few pieces and then final assembly.

I decided to build the car as a street version if GM ever sold one. Sort of like a Porsche GT3RS. Basically the race car minus a few bits made for the street.

spacer.png

spacer.png spacer.png

spacer.png  spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Last and final update is that I also entered into a multi-year group build ( also on MSC forums) with this

spacer.png

Ok that mostly catches me up. Ive started on the bus, only trying to lower it with major changes. Ill post those later.

Good to see you back.Your skills appear to have developed well. Everything about the Corvette looks top notch.

Thanks for the idea on the rocket-blast effect too.

I'll be building an HO scale steel mill with a blast furnace and coke ovens in the next year or so, and want to do lighting effects to simulate the pour, coke push, and incandescent flue gasses. Your rocket-blast has me pointed in the right direction.  :D

Edited by Ace-Garageguy
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

Good to see you back.Your skills appear to have developed well. Everything about the Corvette looks top notch.

Thanks for the idea on the rocket-blast effect too.

I'll be building an HO scale steel mill with a blast furnace and coke ovens in the next year or so, and want to do lighting effects to simulate the pour, coke push, and incandescent flue gasses. Your rocket-blast has me pointed in the right direction.  :D

I used evans design leds. Red, orange and ... flickering fire. Which will be perfect for your furnace.

Edited by Project510
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Vette is done. I was pleasantly surprised with the fit and finish of the kit being Revell. Until, that is until I got to the body. I cant get it on fully, so it looks like the ride height is bad. Also the windows do not fit great. Bummed, but my goodness the paint looks great haha.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Edited by Project510