Model Cars Magazine Forum

Beware of Paasche jar vent holes!

I have 1 oz. siphon jars. The lids have vent holes on top. The elbow connector flat washer that also goes over the lid also has a hole in it and both holes have to be lined up so the jar doen't build up back pressure inside while spraying. I just discovered this yesterday the hard way when I botched the paint job on the interior of my truck cab because the two aformentioned holes weren't lined up. The Paasche H siphon-action airbrush works like an automobile's carburetor using the venturi effect. So, always double check to make sure these two vent holes are lined up before each and every spray session. The elbow connector nut under the lid can loosen up and the whole deal can turn and get the vent holes out of position. You may need to tighten up this nut ensuring the vent holes are lined up correctly. You won't get a consistent uniform spray pattern with an obstructed jar vent. Paint will load up inside the metal ball socket where the jar connector plugs into the airbrush. You will also make a total mess of the model you are trying to paint with such a malfunctioning airbrush. 

• Like 1

The reason my holes got out of line was because I disassembled the lid for a good cleaning. I did not observe putting the washer and lid back with the holes lined up. I was not even aware of this two-hole setup. Why didn't Paasche just drill a hole outside the washer area to begin with? I finally figured out these holes right AFTER I goofed up a spraying session the other day. Blocked holes will screw up airbrush function totally. It's like plugging up an engine's intake with a cloth and expecting the car to win a race. Hard knocks. Live and learn. The airbrush is a very scientific precision instrument. It works by strict laws of physics and chemistry. That needle valve is intricate like a Swiss watch's hairspring.  

Edited by BringHomeTheBacon