Model Cars Magazine Forum

Ok, here's my take on the 289 Cobra

MonoPed

My build of the AMT 289 Cobra is based on Jack Griffith's Cobra, driven by Mark Donohue to victory at the SCCA Nationals AP race at Virginia International Raceway in April, 1964. Most of the suspension has been remade with aluminum tube and parts box goodies, and has been converted to rack and pinion steering. The intake trumpets are made of aluminum tube as per the tutorial I posted in the tips & tricks section. The headlights, windscreen, dash, fuel filler, trunk latch, bonnet latches, steering wheel, mirrors, door latches, upper radiator support, radiator surge tank, and part of the shifter came froma Monogram 427 Cobra. The rollbar and side pipes are made from aluminum tube, and the hood hinge is made from aluminum tube and mild steel wire. The wheels are from Replicas and Miniatures of MD, the tires are from the Revell '70 Torino Cobra. Paint is PPG Ford Viking Blue, the decals were made by Les Smirle of Three Amigos fame.

Brian

64cobramd-1.jpg

64cobramd-2.jpg

64cobramd-3.jpg

It's downright beautiful! Great model. Saw a couple perfect originals at Amelia Island last week, a black one in the auction that raced LeMans and sold for *gulp* $1.9 million, and a red one in the show that is still raced by it's original owner, raced every year except the two years that it was being restored. Can't wait for the AM kits to come out.