Model Cars Magazine Forum

ITC 1954 Oldsmobile Starfire Convertible restoration - Large Scale 20" long

rsmodels

Here's a pretty rare model kit. I bought it built and took it apart, stripped,  prepped,  and added whitewalls. I painted it yellow and white like the 56 Olds 88 my dad had years ago. The windshield is not glued so you may notice a gap where it attaches to the body. The hood and trunk open. I considered cutting off the trunk mounted tire, adding door handles, and detailing the interior but decided to leave it as it was made originally.    I think part of it's charm is it's simplicity.

I think it was 1960 when I received an Ideal Crystal Starflite toy for Christmas. It was the same car but the body was clear. It had working lights and steering, and was made so it could be taken apart and put back together. It had working gears in the differential, working pistons you could see through a window in the engine, a radiator you could fill and drain, working fan, and a few other things. I used to play with it in the dark basement with it's lights on.

In the early 80's I started looking for one at shows.  I bought 6 or 7 (every one I saw) over the next 40 years and still have 3  perfect ones in boxes and 1 on display.

ITC made 2 versions of this kit I'm showing pictures of, I have both unbuilt in their boxes. The kits did not have all the working parts like the clear version but did come with decals and some customizing parts.

I'm including one photo showing one of my  Crystal Starflites.  It came assembled but was made to be taken apart and put back together so it wasn'r really a kit. I don't know if I would be allowed to show more photos of it on this forum.

I also have a few of the large scale 54 Corvettes ITC  made and may post one at some point.

This Oldsmobile  holds  great memories for me. I hope some of you will enjoy looking at it. Some of the photos I had and some I took today.   

Rich

ITC OLDS 010.JPG

ITC OLDS 013.JPG

ITC OLDS 019.JPG

ITC OLDS 021.JPG

ITC OLDS 027.JPG

DCFC0009.JPG

DCFC0013.JPG

DCFC0022.JPG

DCFC0032.JPG

DCFC0033.JPG

DCFC0045 (3).JPG

DCFC0049.JPG

DCFC0001 (2).JPG

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Bills72sj said:

Very nicely done. I have a resin 56 Olds to get to some day. I want to recreate one I saw in a local car show.

DSCF0225.JPG

Hi Bill,

I just recently finished building an X-EL reissue of the Johan 4 door Ninety Eight 56 Olds. I'll be posting soon. It's also yellow/white like my dad's 56 88. I've thought of getting a resin 56 88 too although my dad's was a 4 door.  -Rich

21 hours ago, cobraman said:

Very cool ! That's a new one on me.

12 hours ago, PappyD340 said:

Looks fantastic!

44 minutes ago, ewetwo said:

I absolutely love it and thank you for sharing. 

Thank you all, I'm glad you liked this one.