Model Cars Magazine Forum

Post your truck mockups.

2 hours ago, gautreau said:

Cut down bed from the kit or resin bed? 

I cut the bed down with a dremil disk and, sanded everything smooth and glued everything back together. it was relatively easy. On the frame, I took the same amount off of the read portion so that the middle of the frame would not be compromised. the rear of the bed is tilting up a small bit because i have got to figure out a way to remove that small piece under the tailgate and still have the 2 frame rails for the bumper to attach to. now I will have to e-locate the rear suspension to line up with everything.

On 7/19/2023 at 6:27 PM, Mike C. said:

I cut the bed down with a dremil disk and, sanded everything smooth and glued everything back together. it was relatively easy. On the frame, I took the same amount off of the read portion so that the middle of the frame would not be compromised. the rear of the bed is tilting up a small bit because i have got to figure out a way to remove that small piece under the tailgate and still have the 2 frame rails for the bumper to attach to. now I will have to e-locate the rear suspension to line up with everything.

Thanks for the info. I appreciate it

Even with all the other projects I have going on, before I get to this build, I started mocking up this roll cage out of some ordinary soldering wire I had laying around. I will have to connect everything with crossbars later. I used the factory supplied rollbar as sort of a template. 

20230731_162407.thumb.jpg.ae07be608a90b19ef4237afbfb699c43.jpg

Edited by Mike C.

It's nice to have plenty of Fireball off road tires around to mock up various vehicles.  This AMT C/10 is no exception.  This is the Coke truck (with machine) that you can easily turn into a K/10 using the MPC Deserter GMC pickup kit. These mud kings tires from Fireball always kind of reminded me of the old Monste mudder tires from way back. Back in the day, a lot of the trucks were running these.

20230806_150300.thumb.jpg.d71a442a963c09a014615dfe08ff5b5a.jpg20230806_150252.thumb.jpg.77de0e473161961ab7aa3692fc8b5ddb.jpg

Slowly making progress on my Wild Hoss Bronco.

Finally sized and printed some wheels that I think work. Roof rack is printed and sitting right.

And I've finally figured out the suspension and how to lift this thing a few scale inches to fit those tires.

Will also be getting a new engine, seats, bumpers, and a bunch of accessories.

20230807_172149.jpg

Here are a few shots of my F-125 (crossbreed between F-100 and F-150). Wanted to get it done in time for the CKM show this coming week-end, but time ran out on me. Still a lot of body work to do, then have to scratchbuild/kit-bash an interior, and finally get the chassis finished, just got the extension done this morning. It will be a little bit taller, but not much, just enough to clear the tires. The 1:1 is the inspiration for this build. I have a bottle of paint that exact color.

20220403_114610.jpg

20230809_114356.jpg

20230809_114406.jpg

20230809_114413.jpg

Edited by TarheelRick
  • Like 1

On 8/4/2023 at 8:48 PM, Jonathan said:

As usual, too many projects going on; but had to get started on this International Harvester Scout II.

Tamiya lacquers - TS-41 Coral Blue for the body

2023-07-31-07-34-06-940_orig.jpeg

Got in a little time at the bench over lunch today - a rarity.  

Maybe I should make a WIP for this one.  I botched the glue when attaching the rack, but I think I can fix that.  Ages ago, I picked up a surfboard and rack set from a Japanese manufacturer.   I think the roof on the Scout is removable and probably made of fiberglass ... but this seemed as good a model as any to use the surfboard accessories on.

img-3923_orig.jpg

Edited by Jonathan
  • Like 1