Model Cars Magazine Forum

Arca Car w.i.p

CRANMAN1

Been wanting to do a ARCA Series Car. What ive come up with, NOS Energy Drink Fusion, Decals from Powerslide NOS Sprint Car, Arca decals from Danica go daddy Powerslide set, The #15 from Lake Speed Slixx set, Paint is Tamiya Orange & Testors Star Spangle Blue, Still have few things to finish before fully done. 

IMG_6283.jpg

IMG_6284.jpg

IMG_6285.jpg

• Like 2

Looks good. Next time when you do the yellow stripe on the tires, line it up with a lug nut. That stripe is what the pit crew uses to line up the lugs and put the tires on so fast. Can't stand the new cars with the single Indy wheel type lug nut. Looks good though. I like it. 

• 3 months later...
11 hours ago, TarheelRick said:

Cool build, really like the paint scheme.  What differentiates it from a NASCAR, other than the ARCA decals?  I'm asking because I want to build a mid 60's ARCA/SCCA stock car.

not much from the newer cars. 

22 hours ago, TarheelRick said:

Cool build, really like the paint scheme.  What differentiates it from a NASCAR, other than the ARCA decals?  I'm asking because I want to build a mid 60's ARCA/SCCA stock car.

They are older outdated NASCAR chassis with smaller lower hp engines. At one time they used 2 bbls and at one time they even used V6's in them. It just depends on the year. 60's is going to be really close to stock. They would upgrade things to make it more heavy duty. Instead of using stock car tie rod ends, they would use stock 1 ton truck tie rod ends. Truck spindles and axles and things like that. If you looked at them, you would not know the difference other than the size of them. 

Thanks for the information.  I have seen several pictures where some of the cars were four door cars and plenty of the cheaper body styles (Fairlane rather than Galaxies, or Belairs rather than Impalas) so I can understand the suspension pieces.

On 8/27/2022 at 8:53 PM, TarheelRick said:

Thanks for the information.  I have seen several pictures where some of the cars were four door cars and plenty of the cheaper body styles (Fairlane rather than Galaxies, or Belairs rather than Impalas) so I can understand the suspension pieces.

More than welcome. If you go back to the beginning, they had to be stock. The term wedge came along because people would drive wood wedges between the leaf spring packs in the rear, which was illegal in the beginning. I'm sure you know they were mostly old moonshine cars in the beginning too. Then the truck parts came along when they got fast enough to start breaking stuff. They used truck tires as well. They had more ply's and lasted a little longer than car tires before they started blowing out. They just could not take the heat. Roll cages were flimsy at first and improved over the years too. I guess best thing to do is search for pics of your favorites and go from there. 

My car. Nothing like sliding sideways at a buck 20 with the LF a foot or so off the ground with almost 900 hp on tap. 

72547549_2679660138763780_5512099798632628224_n.jpg

• 4 months later...