Model Cars Magazine Forum

Model Work Areas

Here are some pics of my room. It's a converted bedroom in our home. The closet was converted into a storage area for at least most of my kits but some more are in storage. I'm always looking for more room though and am constantly sorting through models to make more room. Not a bad little work area but I need more display areas.

NewModelRoom012.jpg

NewModelRoom011.jpg

NewModelRoom010.jpg

NewModelRoom009.jpg

NewModelRoom008.jpg

NewModelRoom007.jpg

NewModelRoom013.jpg

• 2 months later...

The man-cave

IMG_5606-vi.jpg

About 18 years ago, I was going to replace the molding on the bottom of this showcase. Maybe I'll get to it some day.

IMG_5607-vi.jpg

IMG_5608-vi.jpg

IMG_5609-vi.jpg

The actual work area.

IMG_5610-vi.jpg

Some of the aftermarket stuff.

All of the kits are stored in the laundry room on several metal shelving units. No pic of that, but you've all seen the same old kits lots of times anyway.

Here's a couple of shot's of my "PLAY ROOM", where I get to play with MY toys.

2008_0415Photobucket10009.jpg

2008_0415Photobucket10010.jpg

Geeze Dave.. that place looks as flawless as your builds!! /do you REALLY work there?? :rolleyes:

I'm in the process of reorganizing my area under the basement stairs to get a few shelves and maybe some additional table space. Planning on a wall extension to hang things off of. I's just an old table and other scrounged drawers and tables. I just drilled a duct thru the band joist and finally have a paint booth down there. If nothing else this plan has got me to clean the worktable and sweep the floor!! And I DID find a piece that's been missing for 2 years!!! I'll have to take some pics after the work and revisit here.

I find it very interesting that in spite of the size of the space available, whether it be a table in the kitchen or a 10' x 20' shed out back, we all only use a space about 12" x 18" tops. The rest is taken up with a clutter of tool, kits, paints, etc. :lol::D:D

Here's my workbench. It's about 5 feet long 2 feet deep, adjustable shelves. Helicopter parts hidden behind the towel. Tools in the upper right storage bin's. Paint's in the upper left storage bin, the one that's out right now.

DSC09070.jpg

My computer station which is also my tv, Itunes, a week's worth of music.

DSC09071.jpg

The shelves to the right of my workstation are Dad's RC airplane stuff. He's got ton's of electric motors and Lipo batteries, speed controllers, et'c. He's basically his own hobby store he's got so much shtuff!

DSC09072.jpg

It's not a bad place to work, but I'd like to have more room and be elsewhere where I have better access to a custom paint booth.

DSC09073.jpg

My current stack of 5 model kit's. Two more on the way!

The big black recycable bin on the far left contains my Mini-Z RC track of which I haven't used in several months on account I sold all my RC car's. Car's were starting too eat up to much of my money and I simply lost interest in theme...............for now.

DSC08784.jpg

Edited by FujimiLover

Geeze laweez Lyle Willits

Yours looks more like a store front hobby shop.

Mine is a mess (like my builds) but it is a whole Room.

PC240015.jpg

When I finish something, I clear off the whole desk and start over agian.

Many misc.. parts here and there for current builds.

and the spill off into the spare room.

hobbieroom-09.jpg

After ya move, some boxes never get unpacked.

And I'll be restarting my other hobbie.

R/C cars, I found a 1/18 and 1/10 Suzuki SideKick body. :o

Geeez, some of you guy's are stacked-up like hobby stores! I only have six kit's, plus two on the way, and that's a record for me! As soon as I have my own house, thing's will change..........................................:(.....................:lol:

"Have you ever noticed that all instruments that record intelligent life are pointed away from earth!"

Maybe it just shows how smart we're not? :o

Edited by FujimiLover

Here's mine... It's a corner in my basement 8' X 12' with a side room that's 5' X 7' for the spray room and sink area. My spray booth is literally the room. I put in a 10" hole in the wall and some 10" flexible duct that leads to a furnace fan blower and straight to the outside. The door has a filter in it. Works great! Anyway, here are a few photos. There are more on my Fotki site here... http://public.fotki.com/tsumner/my-modeling-shop/

Here's the main work area..

028-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

The right side..

029-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

The left side...

031-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

The paint room...you can see the dehydrator there too..

ModelShop027r-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

ModelShop017r-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

In a couple of months this whole thing is going to be remodeled into a new much larger shop....stay tuned.

Terry Sumner

He Terry, is that a little lathe on your bench there? What make is it, if so? Looks cute! :D

I am very jealous of all you guys that have dedicated rooms to hobby in. My wife and I rent a duplex that is split main floor, top floor with a shared basement for storage and laundry. So my "room" is the 10' x 8' storage room we have, I use an old dresser with an Ikea desktop top that sits on op of it. The lighting isn't great but it does the job. There is only one outlet in the room, and when I say one I mean one plug-in. I have an extension cord running from the other room to a power strip. Also there isn't any heat so I have a space heater, but that has it's own extension cord to the other room as well beacuse it draws too much current to be plugged in with all the other stuff. Also when it rains there is a stream of water that runs onder my feet to the other side of the room, so everything is up on blocks of wood. My spay "booth" is literally a cardboard box on a bench in the enrty way to the basement, when the weather is good I spray outside. I can't wait till we move and maybe have a room for my self. Thanks for reading this somewhat short rant.

camera044.jpg

camera045.jpg

camera055.jpg

After years of sitting on a couch and having a stool as a workbench and painting in a cardboard box on the balcony, I have finnally got a little workstation set up. Computer behind me to the left, filing cabinet and desk drawers hold old plans, canned paint, magazines, etc. Parts bin and tackle box on the left. Paint is now mounted on several shelfs. Lighted paint booth with exhaust going outside on right. 3 gallon compressor under the booth stand.

514099396_BJNTC-M.jpg

514098498_S2S9q-M.jpg

521570257_pyGc6-M.jpg

Paint is now mounted on several shelfs. Lighted paint booth with exhaust going outside on right. 3 gallon compressor under the booth stand.

521570257_pyGc6-M.jpg

ok.. I see we need more shelves already ..

I know that move from coffee table ... congrats and enjoy the permanent space .. :D

• 4 months later...

Here is my work area. Corner of living room, with table, computer and drawer. Believe or not, all paints and tools what i use are in that toolbox! Yes i build simple models so i wont need any supertools :P For airbrush paintjobs ill just put some box on table, paint my model and put that box away :D

tytila001.jpg

Finished models ill put in here... and some parts are lost in there B)

hylly002.jpg

Finished models ill put in here... and some parts are lost in there ;)

hylly002.jpg

At least ya know where they are :lol:

Okay, I cleaned up my area Since someone said it was too Cluttered.

I won't say his name but it starts with an F like in Fujimi

and second name starts with an L as in Lover. ;):lol:

I needed to straighten it up anywhoo. :lol:

Got a New Desk top TV and sound plays through my PC speakers and

It is hook up threw my DVR, so I get all my channels.

Still need to hook up my DVD player tho.

P9020015.jpg

P9010008.jpg

This should last a little while. :rolleyes:

Gotta show it off while it's still clean. ;)

Like some others mentioned, heat is a factor here in Florida. My shop is here in the garage but in the Summertime you are limited to either working earlier in the morning, before the daily heat rises, or later in the evening, if you're lucky enough to have had a nice rainstorm blow through and lower the temps..

Otherwise, we have a spare bedroom at the front of the house where the computers are located and I have one of those hospital tables to bring smaller projects inside to work on when the heat is unbearable.

DSC08589-vi.jpg

DSC08584-vi.jpg

DSC08591-vi.jpg

DSC08590-vi.jpg

DSC08585-vi.jpg

DSC08587-vi.jpg

Some awesome work areas.Since I started modeling I few months ago I was compelled to stock up on kits I may have 15 or so unbuit.I thought I ws obsessed,I notice I'm not alone :unsure: . Man I see some guys have better stock then the hobby stores.Also I took a 2 week hiatus from building to convert my garage to a work area so here goes.

DSC01934.jpg

I've always wanted a room to myself in our house anyway.

At least I can decorate to my taste w/o hearing it from wifey :(

DSC01961.jpg

I really feel the need for a spraybooth and I'm leaning towards a Pace Peacekeeper as my xmas gift,I drywalled over an old dryer vent which is stil on my outside wall so it will be a snap to hook-up.I'm grateful for what I have tho and have no problems working here.Thanks for looking.

Nice work areas guys! Here's mine.

My photobooth on the top shelf

camerasetup1.jpg

The paint booth.

2.jpg

I've got about 8 feet of work area and use about a 6 inch by 6 inch square of it for actual work. ! 1/2 solid wood doors as my benchtop.

33.jpg

Most of my diorama supplies are in this cabinet on top of my desk.

0.jpg

Projects to the left and right of me!

meand2dios014.jpg

Time out with my favorite Mag!

meand2dios010.jpg

Nice work areas guys! Here's mine.

My photobooth on the top shelf

camerasetup1.jpg

The paint booth.

2.jpg

I've got about 8 feet of work area and use about a 6 inch by 6 inch square of it for actual work. ! 1/2 solid wood doors as my benchtop.

33.jpg

Most of my diorama supplies are in this cabinet on top of my desk.

0.jpg

Projects to the left and right of me!

meand2dios014.jpg

Time out with my favorite Mag!

meand2dios010.jpg

I've been to the dungeon, guys ;) . This is where the genius works and the magic happens!!!