Model Cars Magazine Forum

Can anyone tell me what this started as?

I took these at the Sacramento Autorama last year but don't remember the information on it.I'm usually fairly good at figuring out Makes/Models but this thing is just giving me a headache. Can anyone help me out?

It is either a Chevy or GMC truck cab (any of the series). It is probably a 68-72.

I personally think it is the ugliest dam* thing I've ever seen but my girlfriend loves it so I was going to try to make a scale model of it for her as one of her valentine's gifts.......If I can get past my gag reflex kicking in every time I look at it. :lol:

The cab is definitely a 1967-72 Chevrolet or GMC, but the hood and grill shape are based off of the 1967-68 design. The 1969-72 Hoods were more squared off in the front and the trucks had an egg crate grill instead of the slotted ones in the earlier trucks.

If they still make the 1967-68 resin trans kit, I would start with that for the customization of the front end to save time. From what I can see in the pictures, they extended the grill openings to the fender edges. I haven't looked for one in several years, so it might be a search before you find one.

As for the bed, it looks like it would not be too difficult to make based off a step side bed using flat styrene stock. If you go to a home improvement store, check out their plastic no trespassing and for sale signs. If you take fine sand paper and smooth out where they painted the graphics on them and remove ALL the paint / ink from the areas to be bonded, they work out well for projects like this. Just make sure to get the thick signs, not the paper thin ones like I have seen in Wally World.

Hope this helps,

-Scott H.