Model Cars Magazine Forum

Jo-Han Mercedes 500K

unclescott58

12 hours ago, sjordan2 said:

A small warning here. The first edition kit on the left is superb with little to no flash, seams you can ignore, and is molded in the correct color on shiny plastic that may only require a clear coat. The reissued boxing on the right is molded in bright red, and the one I have is loaded with flash and incomplete plating on some chrome parts.

Screen Shot 2022-06-27 at 12.05.33 PM.png

I’d love to the contents of each box. To see the differences. Flash wasn’t bad on my copy. But, the chrome left a lot a be desired. 

I remember an article years ago saying that the wide whites on the cars was not accurate. Also the chrome wires are a restorers add to. Pictures from back in the day always showed black walls and black wires or body color.

1 hour ago, GRiN said:

I remember an article years ago saying that the wide whites on the cars was not accurate. Also the chrome wires are a restorers add to. Pictures from back in the day always showed black walls and black wires or body color.

500-540k's tended to be over-restored, including the chrome wheels. A lot of what restorers would do was based off of customer expectations rather than the history of the vehicle, and people paying large sums for restorations in the 60's through the 80's wanted wide whites, chromed wheels and engine turned components that would originally have been left natural or painted. That being said, the period pics on page 1 of this thread show this car with chromed wheels, so there's at least some precedent. Sometimes you'd see painted wheels with chromed spokes as well, but most 500 and 540ks had painted wires with chrome wheel weights.