Model Cars Magazine Forum

Rebuilt AMT 57 Chevy Bel Air Hardtop

gwolf

I love buying old built-up kits, tearing them down and redoing them, and the amount of dust, fungi, mold, and mildew on this guy just screamed my name. I think I paid $3 for it at a local model club event.

IMG_0308.thumb.JPG.0d9b0af7c7e7be94ad38749cf594f20d.JPG

As I thought about what to do with it, mash it up with a new engine from the AMT Boyd Coddington 57 Chevy, turn it into a rat rod, etc, I thought about the kid who originally and lovingly built this kit. Yes, we'll just put this orphaned 57 back together and set it on the Survivor Shelf.

The builder hand painted the entire body in red (originally molded in tan), which is no small task. Then they painted in the chrome areas. I'm sure they were pretty proud of all the work they put in it.

IMG_0311.thumb.JPG.8e69767e696b9348b92b1952ca2545df.JPG

The interior tub was flocked- with dust, hair, and whatever detritus you can imagine. They did a nice job painting the silver details into the seats.

IMG_0324.thumb.jpg.f2325856dc656c1209188cdc6f7a5cb7.jpg

I thought about cleaning it up, soaking it in water and dish soap overnight and using a soft toothbrush to clean out the grime, but the windshield would never clean up and it had just the right amount of filth to make it resemble a real car had it been sitting in a musty garage for years. I also specifically loved the old Iskenderian Racing Cams decagon the passenger side.

IMG_0309.thumb.JPG.72dfe5fa82bf1dade348c594ac76a16e.JPG

So I began seeing what parts were there and about 99% of them were there (most notably the radiator hose and the piece that sits into the firewall). I began putting it back together. A little glue here and there, a few paint touchups and she's almost roadworthy again.

IMG_0325.thumb.jpg.c4cbbbe64cee0b4efb8fc05e7c180340.jpg

IMG_0323.thumb.jpg.2e2e0013d63c8a0b5d787d143686f35d.jpg

The one other part that I noticed was missing was one headlight lens, so off to the parts box I went. I replaced both of them.

A filthy, beat up car with brand new headlights. It made me think of what my dad might've done for me had I hauled home some life-size heap; buy me new headlights; just enough to get me started.

Edited by gwolf
Errors
  • Like 2

I like that you kept it as found. Do you know how hard it is to get some of these finishes? The original builder did a pretty presentable job considering the painting methods. Just get a plastic display case for it and let it ferment.