Model Cars Magazine Forum

Out of Production Kits

As a kid growing up in the 90s and early 2000s, I fondly remember many nice model kits that I wish I had the opportunity to build. Now it seems the manufacturers keep bringing out the same kits over and over again. At least Round 2 seems to be bringing out some kits from my childhood or even before my time. My question is this: is there a website that shows model kits released by year. Also, is there a good site I can look at for kits that are no longer in production. I know I can look at eBay, but I run the risk of either not finding what I'm looking for, or the price being a little too rich for my price range. Thank you for any help, and sorry for such a long post.

14 hours ago, olschoolkid said:

...sorry for such a long post.

TLDR

(Just kidding) Nothing wrong with a long post to communicate what you want to communicate.

Scalemates has lots of what you're looking for, including the timelines of many many kits, and the various boxings and re-releases.

https://www.scalemates.com/search.php?q=*&fkSECTION[]=Kits&fkCATNAME[]="Cars"

EDIT: And if you're careful on eBay, and don't buy the first BUY IT NOW!!! you see, or get caught up in idiot bidding wars, you can usually find vintage kits WAY under the silly-high asking prices. I do it all the time.   B)

Edited by Ace-Garageguy
  • Like 2

I agree with Bill on using ebay. If there's a kit I'm looking for, I just do a search and find them instantly. Just remember. Vintage kits are like subways. If you miss one, just wait and another will come along shortly. Bid what you're willing to give and walk away.

• Like 4

I agree with the previous advice.

I would add that It looks like you live fairly close to Indianapolis. You should look into Indy area swap meets and model shows (that typically have a swap on the side). One big savings is no shipping :) .