Model Cars Magazine Forum

1969 Camaro chassis/floorpan painting

If you're shooting for a true-to-stock finish, basic undercoating was then applied to all chassis  pans in the following areas: one or two passes up the length of the trans/driveshaft tunnel, crosswise across the high rise of the floor in front of the fuel tank (area over the rear axle) from wheel opening to wheel opening, and finally in all 4 wheel openings. This was the bare minimum,from the factory. If a dealer could up-sell it, the entire floor pan could have been undercoated; not uncommon in northern climates where salted roads could wreak havoc on chassis.

The car I am representing had light gray primer and the white was well into the chassis area.  No undercoat on this one.  People familiar with this have told me that the primer varied depending on a variety of things.  West coast cars usually didn't get undercoating.  Given the variety of info I've seen, I guess I'm accepting that.  

1969_Pace_Car (20).JPG

• Like 1