Model Cars Magazine Forum

Formula Firebird hood.

How difficult would it be to do a 1970, Formula Firebird hood to fit the Revell 1970 Trans Am model? Or maybe just the two long scoops then they could be grafted onto the modified Trans Am hood.

R (9).jpg

Edited by Mike C.

The problem you are going to find with the resin hood from SMH is that it is based on one of the old 1/25th scale annual kits, and while the Revell 70 Trans Am kit is listed on eBay as a 1/25th scale, it is actually the old Monogram kit that is 1/24th scale.  So the resin hood will be slightly smaller, and you will either need to add material to get it to fit, or try cutting out and grafting them onto the kit hood, but then it is resin to plastic and you have the hood scoop opening to deal with.  I don't know if he still has them available, but Greg Wann use to offer a resin 70 Firebird Formula body & hood, though I can't remember off the top of my head what scale it is, and what kit to use as a donor.  I have one of his resin trans kit in my stash, but after a recent move I'm not sure where it is at the moment to check it.  It would be nice if one of the model companies would come out with an updated version of the Formula car, I like the looks of the car myself.  I know the old annual kit molds were modified over the years, so they aren't available anymore, and if you do see one of the kits up for sale, they are usually going for a pretty good price.

Steve A.

9 hours ago, keyser said:

Thanks for that link. I just bout one. I think I can make the hood work with a little fancy footwork. 

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...