Model Cars Magazine Forum

'70 Formula 400 Firebird

Mike C.

On 8/30/2022 at 12:40 PM, Can-Con said:

I recognize that pic. "Reliable Resin".  One of , if not THE most notorious casters in the business. 

You're better off with what you got ,, at least you actually got it.

I bought a few parts from that guy several years back. He was always the south end of a north bound horse to me. Desperation will sometime make you do business with people wouldn't want to admit you even know.

I kept looking at that hood the scoops just were not quite ready. I think I glued them on prematurely. So, I carefully cut them off with a hobby knife and decided to have another go at them. I sanded off even more material and this time carefully bent them to go along with the slight curvature of the hood. Now I feel I'm closer to the point where the paint will feather everything in. I remembered to wash the parts of with dish soap this time and I'll let those dry before getting the glue back out.

20220904_161936.thumb.jpg.fc76f377b2160a6a5eb11cb05edcc870.jpg20220904_161946.thumb.jpg.cb744062681bf2f10675600180a46dbb.jpg20220904_162905.thumb.jpg.035d1f52e06484cc2db5b50868104ace.jpg

Edited by Mike C.
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
8 hours ago, Oldcarfan27 said:

Make sure you perfect that peak on the center of the hood before you glue any of those "accessories" to it. Otherwise you'll never be able to access it with a sanding stick later.

I'm pretty confident I got that contour in but the first coat of primer will confirm this.

Moving on, this shifter, generously donated for this project by rsmodels (Rich) needed a Hurst T handle so I took this piece of non-stick decal backing paper, positioned the shift lever and handle appropriately, and put a drop of glue in place. I hope this non-stick paper does its job and doesn't stick when it is dry. Then I can paint it to look like aluminum.

Both are Revell. The Van one (top) includes the gauge faces in the decal while the Firebird has each tiny gauge face separate from the panel. I just left them painted black rather than deal with that whole dog and pony show. Hopefully, the Micro sol is doing its work.  I'll let those dry overnight before I hit them with a little matte clear sealer.