Model Cars Magazine Forum

Lowering a Dodge L-700

You lower most model vehicles pretty much the way you'd lower a real one, with some limitations, but everything depends on how low you want to go.

Measuring prior to modifying anything is key, so you first need to mock up the thing as it comes...either assemble the suspension dry, or glue it on temporarily with something like white glue or rubber cement...and see how high the frame is off the ground at each end.

Then take it back apart, and mock up how high you want it to be (without suspension under it).

The difference is how much you'll need to raise the axle centerlines relative to the frame.

The front axle can be raised a fair bit by shaving the rear brackets at the rear of the front springs, part #8. The front spring pads can be shaved a little too, and you'll need to shorten the shocks, part #16. to compensate.

The rear can be lowered some by shaving material off of the spring mount pads on top of the rear axle, part #15, or if you need a lot of drop, by raising the rear springs, part #14, relative to the frame.

Measure everything twice. Work slowly and carefully. Only cut a little at a time, 'cause it's a lot easier to cut more than it is to put plastic back on. Think everything through. Mock up frequently with common-sense engaged.

And pay attention to the possibility of the axles hitting the frame as you raise them. Many times, you have to notch frame rails on solid-axle vehicles to get them down as far as you want.

DodgeL700Instructions1-vi.jpg.e53f79c5669ba697d2b346e368b44617.jpg

Edited by Ace-Garageguy
CLARITY
  • Like 1

I haven't lowered an L-700. But, I have lowered several others. The easiest way to lower a kit with a straight axle front end and parallel leaf springs is to do an axle over conversion. Instead of gluing the axle to the bottom of the springs, glue it on top of the springs. You may have to notch the frame depending on how much clearance you're left with.

Thanks, I understand the various ways to adjust suspensions to lower a stance. My concern is in the past when I lowered something the tires moved “up” in the wheel wells. However the L-700 doesn’t have much clearance for the fronts.

The assembled models seen on Lindberg kit boxes always look like they are way low in front compared to the rear.  I'd mock up the chassis and give it a look, to see if it is level or not when assembled according to the instructions.

1 hour ago, slownlow said:

Thanks, I understand the various ways to adjust suspensions to lower a stance. My concern is in the past when I lowered something the tires moved “up” in the wheel wells. However the L-700 doesn’t have much clearance for the fronts.

You can make bulges in the top of the wheel wells to gain clearance. I had to do it on both of these models. 

20190602_183130-1.jpg.42131969f5979a1beae0e98c2d399dd6.jpg

20190801_120008-1.jpg.f05b39f4141523cf26a01442e96a4205.jpg

On 8/28/2022 at 11:44 AM, slownlow said:

I am thinking of turning a Dodge L-700 into a car hauler. Has anyone successfully lowered this kit?

Bob,

Are you thinking a "working" vocational car hauler like this? With or without a car over the cab?

See the source image

Or a single car, more recreational flat bed or ramp truck type hauler?

Edited by Muncie

• 2 weeks later...