Forum will be Offline for Server Maintenance ×
Model Cars Magazine Forum

Another Oldie !

Modelmartin

I built this in 1979. It has a flat 12 and a compressed air induction system. It has four compressed air bottles mounted on it. I found an article and schematic for this system in an old Car Craft article about a similar system that Mickey Thompson installed on one of his funny cars. It also has a ground effects tunnel and skirts on the nose and side of the body. The wheels are 928 phone dial style painted red. It took 3 Revell 928 kits to stretch the body. I still have the model and am considering restoring it (I repainted it in the 80s and it does not look as good as this original paint job). Sorry for the bad photos but it is all I have of the model in its original paint scheme. It was a real fun model to build.

Enjoy.

928fc-vi.jpg

928fc1-vi.jpg

928fc2-vi.jpg

928fc3-vi.jpg

928fc4-vi.jpg

928fc5-vi.jpg

Now THIS, this is cool, this is my kind of car, just the image with it. ;) That flat 12 is proably the coolest engine I have seen in a funny car or in models. You are a master crafstman. I like the "vintage" photos.

Grassroots Motorsports material

Edited by Nick F40

this is very cool!! its great to see some cool builds from before much of what we have today became easy to come by. Andy, I think you also built a very cool Lincoln v12 supercharged carbon fiber bodied T..that one has inspired me alot too.

Great work guys..keep these cool old builds coming!!

Holy Smokes! That is even better than I expected, Andy. The compressed air induction is wild! Great styling. The way you kept the Porsche theme going into the sponsor and rims is perfect.

I am looking forward to seeing some color pics with more detail. I am going to copy theses top my favorites folder with your description.

Thanks so much for posting these. I think it would be fun to start a "By request thread."

Thanks again!

Scott

Thanks very much, guys! I very much appreciate your positive comments. I will most likely do some restoration work on this one - returning it to it's original paint job and fixing a few things like windows, etc. I will post more detailed pics in color when I get around to it - hopefully before too long. At the time I built this I was going to build a top fuel car with the same engine set-up and a 928 pro-stock! I started them but didn't get too far.

Right now I am building one of my resin Bugzapper funny cars in M&M Crispy - Purple with purple polka dot paint - and a new one ; a 50 Buick Woody Funny Car! That one will be called "The Tree Hugger".

I will post some more of my oldies as time permits.