Model Cars Magazine Forum

heavy chevy

plumnuts

See how nice that body looks with a top chop? The cab roof is just TOO tall even in stock form. Makes for an UGLY truck. I HAD to chop mine, or I'da never built it! But, that's just my opinion. :D That was NOT one of G.M's better lookin trucks! Wonder who even picked it, or WHY, to make a model of it??? :blink:

See how nice that body looks with a top chop? The cab roof is just TOO tall even in stock form. Makes for an UGLY truck. I HAD to chop mine, or I'da never built it! But, that's just my opinion. :D That was NOT one of G.M's better lookin trucks! Wonder who even picked it, or WHY, to make a model of it??? :blink:

OK, OK ,OK. :P CB thanks for the pic. (I like where you are going with your build.) so I'm taking some advice from all of you plus one. votes are in and all but one said chop it, that one being Dave, and since I respect Dave's openion I chose to chop it in a manner that "you don't want to see the modifacation right away, but can tell that somthing is not stock"

( Chip Foose)said that on an episode of overhaulin.

I think thats true, So the top is off and will post pics later on how the chop was done and keeping all of the factory bends in it ,and keeping the back window full size. I'll also share some tricks I learned buy doing my last top job all wrong! ;)

so far the way I'v done the top is working very well. The top is not done yet, Going to let things set up overnight so I don't have pieces sagging before the glue cures.cause I don't want to fill the sag in with putty! :P

OH buy the way that would be tip number 1. :lol:

Edited by plumnuts

OK. I dont feel I acomplished what I wanted, but we'll se after paint. I think I liked the truck a little better before , but you don't know till you try. I wanted to share how I did the chop and why for the people who havent started doing body mods yet.

IMG_0665.jpg

I found that measuring and drawing full lever lines helps with the cut and the placement after the cut. I'v been using a clear plastic ruler for a while , but just got a caliper and would recomend it.

IMG_0666.jpg

The reason I cut the top the way I did is to keep all the factory curves in the doors and to also save myself from a 2inch back window, I knew the doors were going to open so bladed the jam between the cuts for easy access but kept the rest of the door in tact for strenght and line up perposes later.

IMG_0667.jpg

I made the cut on the top at an angel for two reasons. strengh and it makes line up alot more noticable with the body lines.

I actualy use a piece of rectangel plastic to extend the top and after glut dries cut away excess with the roto tool.( that is for strengh also) I could never get sheet plastic to stay straight between the cut.

IMG_0669.jpg

I mounted the back half first for a referance point for the front. reason I used the back for this is due to the vertical and horizontal cuts made it east to line up level.( didn't want the top to sag in the middle). this is where I let the pieces set up over night. Befor gluing the front on I went ahead and trimed the spacer down while I could get access to the insie of the roof and side angels to trim out the bodylines.

IMG_0671.jpg

TADA there it is!

SORRY. I forgot a couple pics

IMG_0672.jpg

thought a back shot would be in order.

IMG_0676.jpg

and sence I'm rollin the dice on this build it only seemed right to shift with this.

Hope you dont mind me breaking down how I did this top, but if anyone saw my last build up of WAY GONE MUSTANG,

the top was a total night mare and it cracked before I was able to paint due to all the weak points, and cutting in the door lines free hand was no fun and didn't look good when I got done. so I'm going to shut up now and give my fingers a rest.

thanks for listening and looking. :o

I'd have to say brother that chop IS THE TICKET, it looks fantastic with the way the truck sits, and it looks to blend it all together, keeping with the flow of the lines of the truck, not to aggressive, but just enough that you would have to take a double look, I myself have been thinking of a chop on the Huall'n C-3500, nothing to drastic but enought to fit the stance, anyway keep it going brother, I like you am keeping a close eye on the build, GREAT WORK.

And by the way, thanks for sharing the chop, I for one now know of another way to chop, and keep my rear window :mellow:

thanks...

Edited by unforgiven

I'd have to say brother that chop IS THE TICKET, it looks fantastic with the way the truck sits, and it looks to blend it all together, keeping with the flow of the lines of the truck, not to aggressive, but just enough that you would have to take a double look, I myself have been thinking of a chop on the Huall'n C-3500, nothing to drastic but enought to fit the stance, anyway keep it going brother, I like you am keeping a close eye on the build, GREAT WORK.

And by the way, thanks for sharing the chop, I for one now know of another way to chop, and keep my rear window :lol:

thanks...

glad you like the top . I'v been looking at it and I'm gona leave the rails off the back. worked with the stock top but to tall I think now. you got to be carefull with chop tops, doing it on a long ride or a tall body can make it look like it got steped on.

hoping the color on the chevy will bring it all together.

later bro.

Looks great with the chopped top! Already got a color picked out? If not, I was experimenting with colors and came up with one I ended up liking...........Light Silver Metallic as a base, 2 coats of Transparent Black Window Tint, 2 coats of Gloss Pearl Clearcoat, and then cleared and polished.

my style, nice work! Chassis fit fairly well?

man this chasis fit like it was part of the kit. had to put a trans tunnel in the floorboard and notch the inner fender for the upper A arm.

also had to notch back the firewall, dut width and length were dead on. I put fender wells in the bed but thats cause I wanted to run wide wheels in the back.

Looks great with the chopped top! Already got a color picked out? If not, I was experimenting with colors and came up with one I ended up liking...........Light Silver Metallic as a base, 2 coats of Transparent Black Window Tint, 2 coats of Gloss Pearl Clearcoat, and then cleared and polished.

that sounds like i wicked color, but I want somthing bright. have a can of testers lacquer FIERY ORANGE. I'v also been playing with the air brush so if I feel comfortable enough to spray a build when heavy chevy is ready it will be house of color dreamsicle. eather way its gona be orange.

Thanx for the detail pics on the chop, a good reminder to always look for the details you want to survive before you put knife to plastic! The lines and stance of this build are great. Should be a terrific fat fendered '41 when you're done.

I've been looking for cool shift lever knobs in 1/25. Where did that tiny dice cube come from?

Thanx for the detail pics on the chop, a good reminder to always look for the details you want to survive before you put knife to plastic! The lines and stance of this build are great. Should be a terrific fat fendered '41 when you're done.

I've been looking for cool shift lever knobs in 1/25. Where did that tiny dice cube come from?

cut the end from a stick of squair plastic and drilled a small hole and stuck it on a shifter I found from the parts box.

Can't take credit for the idea though, saw a shifter in a friends build, wasen't painted like a dice, but had a squair on top,

so there might be a kit out there with this shifter, but its super easy to make. :lol:

thanks for the comments on the truck, fuel for the fire. I'm still diggen this build. :lol:

PStreet man you've got to get back to your build man that is flat out KEWL.

Plum, it just keeps looking better and better. I wasn't sure if I was going to like it as much after the chop but, it works. The next big question is where did you come up with the dice shifter?

PStreet man you've got to get back to your build man that is flat out KEWL.

Plum, it just keeps looking better and better. I wasn't sure if I was going to like it as much after the chop but, it works. The next big question is where did you come up with the dice shifter?

hay fletch I just answered the shifter question, but I did dig out a dice from the kids games so the dots are actually in the correct spots. :lol: and the chop is growing on me also, didn't like it at first, but I opened a door tonight and have the seat sitting in place and it's all pulling together. :lol:

Looking good My friend. this is going to be a nice build when done B)

I would glue the front hood and side's down, smooth them out then pancake the hood. But that's just me.

hay biggs, that sure is a great idea and is in the plans, just havent got that far yet.

I can see the Orange......it will definately make the trucks lines 'pop' (especially if you lay a 'Winfield Style' fade as a base under the Orange). Bright silver under the Orange with a light mist of Bright Metallic Red laid on the fender rolls and roof breaks, overcoated in the Fiery Orange.

Edited by whale392

mock up is almost there. :D got the doors opened and need to hinge them, started on shaving the headlights, that will get putty soon. also flipped the bench seat and put a speaker box in there. :lol: still in the air with the hood, pancake was the first though, but the motor is way down in there that way. thinking about a double hinge and flipping it forward with the skirts.

gona open the grill and paint it body color and stash the headlights behind, just coulden't come up with a headlight stile I liked on the fenders. I'll post more pics when it all hinged and in primmer. ;)

IMG_0688.jpg

IMG_0689.jpg

IMG_0690.jpg

input is always welcome. what would you do with the hood?

remember the motor sits low. :blink: