Model Cars Magazine Forum

Questions on the 1967 AMT Shelby GT Mustang #834M/12

Hi,

Well, I have the chassis and interior complete and joined.  I have the body complete with scoops and front/rear fascia attached and lights & glass installed - nicely painted in pearl black.  My next step is a serious problem however - joining the body with the chassis/interior.  I'm not a newbie, and I've played with it, researched YouTube videos (they overlook this step), and I'm getting pretty frustrated.

Do you have any advice or guidance?  

Thank you all!

Bill Anderson

Spring, Tx

Well, I got the thing together, without breaking anything - although I trimmed the top of each side of the firewall a bit.  It doesn't show so no harm done.

I wore latex gloves and my optivisor and worked slowly.  I had to spread the body in a number of places and my fear was to the the dreaded "crackkkk".  But I didn't and even the fan can thru unscathed.  I've been building models since the '50s, and this was the most difficult major step in building that I can recall - and IMO it should not have been.  The instructions show the interior attached to the chassis before completion.  And the YouTube videos show the front/rear fascias attached first as well.  Go figure.......

I've said this before, but it bears repeating.  The instruction sheets these days are just minimal.  No step by step verbiage, no "helpful hints, and some are pretty vague in parts.  I suspect its due to their foreign manufacture and/or money saving strategy.  The thing is - and I know this from experience with young people - the kits are often made harder than need be and they are scaring off new modelers.

Anyway, got it together, need to finish off the wheels and battery and such, and then move on to a '68 Dodger Charger RT.......

Thanks all! 

Glad you got it without damaging anything.  Prompted me to start my 67 kit, and I really checked the frame clearance with fr/rr panels taped on; this kit has about 5mm clearance for front of chassis. I agree  that newer instructions lack a lot, so postings like yours helps the rest of us. Thanks.

There was a real "catch 22" in building this kit.  It would have been easier to install the chassis/interior into the body if I had not installed the front and rear fascias.  However, test fitting of the fascias proved that they were not an exact fit and to get that would require body putty.  Ideally, one could paint the body, install the glass, attach the chassis/interior, and then apply the front and rear fascias.  But the need for body putty meant that the thing would have to be painted again, etc., etc.

Ha, I guess if it was all easy I'd get bored and move on to another interest..........