Model Cars Magazine Forum

1977 Ford Overlander Van

3 hours ago, Koellefornia Kid said:

Very well done!

Thank you for the comments - your builds are quite impressive!!    I'm actually working on the 1955 ford panel now and contemplating whether to do it as a 4x4 or a slammed truck.  Decisions, decisions!

18 hours ago, bill lanfear said:

Nice work on this overall, just enough wear! I am also looking forward to seeing more of your work. 

Thank you Bill!  I have lots of ideas, just limited time and skill; hopefully I'll knock out a couple this winter.

Very cool overlander van, Steve !

The wheels, the roofrack and the frontbumper with the winch - great !!

I like cars fully equipped with needfull stuff for long journeys.

I´ve put some stuff on my Land Rover for a tour from London to Capetown...

www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/topic/160039-revell-land-rover/#comment-2374935

16 hours ago, Michael F said:

Very cool overlander van, Steve !

The wheels, the roofrack and the frontbumper with the winch - great !!

I like cars fully equipped with needfull stuff for long journeys.

I´ve put some stuff on my Land Rover for a tour from London to Capetown...

www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/topic/160039-revell-land-rover/#comment-2374935

Thank you so much for your kind words Michael!  Your LR is amazing!  That's the kind of work I aspire to do.  Your weathering is spot on and the rack contents are outstanding.  It looks like it's ready for whatever journey throws at it!

8 hours ago, FLHCAHZ said:

Very Nice and realistic build.  I agree with the others that it looks genuinely real,  the tires are spot in.  Very nice work.

Thanks for the comment - it's much appreciated!  I highly recommend Fireball for the tires.  Much better than 99% of the kit tires out there.

Well, you beat me to it.  I have been collecting very much the same kits and some other pieces to build one similar.  Just hope when I get to mine it will look as good as yours. You did some excellent work on this build.

Edited by TarheelRick

11 hours ago, TarheelRick said:

Well, you beat me to it.  I have been collecting very much the same kits and some other pieces to build one similar.  Just hope when I get to mine it will look as good as yours. You did some excellent work on this build.

Thanks for the comment!  This one had been rattling around in my head for a while and it was just time to get it done.  I had the original (mpc?) 4x4 version of this van as a kid but they are as rare as hen's teeth now and stratospherically expensive.  One would think the conversion would be easy, but the pickups seem to be much narrower for some reason.  Good luck with yours and I look forward to seeing it when it's done!

8 hours ago, Maindrian Pace said:

Coolest build I've ever seen of that kit, original, clean, and well executed. Didn't know that R/C parts like that existed.

Thanks for the comment. I didn’t know either until they showed up as “suggested for you” on Amazon. It certainly helped move the build along. 

I like van models.  I've seen a few real 4X4 vans and your model looks really nice, I'm sure the conversion to a 4X4 was a lot of work, it looks like it was made that way out of the box so the model is very successful,  the Fireball tires look good too as does all of his stuff and add a so much to the van.  Great work on your part.

16 hours ago, echo said:

I like van models.  I've seen a few real 4X4 vans and your model looks really nice, I'm sure the conversion to a 4X4 was a lot of work, it looks like it was made that way out of the box so the model is very successful,  the Fireball tires look good too as does all of his stuff and add a so much to the van.  Great work on your part.

Thank you so much for your comments!  As is always the case, it seemed like it would be easy at the outset, but once I got into it, there was quite a bit of modification needed.  Nothing is ever simple!!  I know that MPC/Amt? made a 4x4 version of this van back in the 80's but they're rare and prohibitively expensive.