Model Cars Magazine Forum

1968 Sox and martin Cuda

Underbody from the Revell '68 Dart should work, with the wheelbase shortened a bit.  1:1 Dart and Barracuda shared that part of the structure, with the Plymouth having a shorter wheelbase.  The current/most recent issue of the Dart has the Hemi, has both the 8-3/4" and Dana 60 rear axles, has other parts needed.  Engine compartment will need to be cut from the Dart body.  Not having looked at a Dart kit in a while, I believe it has separate door handles that can be used too.

48 minutes ago, dri said:

Thank you Mark. I was trying to make the 71 Johan Cuda chassis work. But it does not look like it will fit.

Completely different Barracuda: The 1968 is on the A-body platform (Dart, Valiant, et alia) whereas the 1971 is on the E-body platform (1970-1974 Challenger & Barracuda). The latter shares many of its underpinning with the 1971-1972 B-body (Charger, Road Runner, et alia).

Another option is the AMT 1971 Duster 340. If you're planning to replicate the S&M 1968 Formula-S 340, that kit would be the one to start with. If you're planning to replicate their more notable 1968 Hemi Super Stock, then the Revell 1968-1969 Dart is the way to go.  

• Like 1

For an easier swap (but with way less detail), MPC '75-'76 Dart would be another alternative.  Same underbody again, but the 'Cuda interior clashes with the Dart chassis around the inner rear wheel wells, and the little pocket on the underside of the 'Cuda interior bucket that is there to allow for the fold down back seat.  Dart chassis has no front suspension detail, also has a couple of exhaust pipes (but no mufflers) molded in as a unit.  Pre-Round 2 issues after the '76 annual don't have those though.

As for the 'Cuda, some issues (early Seventies through early Eighties) have '68 side markers on the body.  Rest is strictly '69 (hood, grille, taillight panel).  Sox & Martin did have one retrimmed as a '69 as I recall, but for Super Stock the Hemi cars must be '68s.  

There's a lot more details than just a hood and grille that differentiate a 68 from a 69 Barracuda. Taillights, side markers, front panel shape and rocker panel trim. Also interior upholstery differed.

But, I'm not sure how much of these details the original S&M Cuda even had. You've got your work cut out for you if you're making the current 69 into a 68.

BTW, the grille on the 69 looks much more like a 68 than it does a 69. May be usable. 

Looked at some pictures from the car at mecum auction site looks like no side markers on front fenders round on back easy to make. hood doesn't have bulges but a scoop and hood pins all the way around prob fiberglass piece but hood in 69 kit with scoop will work.  I think it may already have the cut out on the underside depend on which issue you get.  Back panel can be painted to simulate the real one including correct tail lights.  No pics of interior or chassis.  Keep us posted I want to see how it turns out.

In days of old, several resin casters offered conversion kits (grilles, header panel, taillight panel) to convert to a '68.  Some included a hood also.  '69 hood has that peak that rises towards the front (later Dodge Dart Sports used that same hood) while '68 is flatter.

MPC put the '68 side markers on the '69 body for the Judy Lilly Super Stock issue, those remained until Ertl revamped the kit into the 383 version that exists to this day.  I've got one of those kits, and someone's old '68 conversion but no hood.  I think I can piece a hood together from a couple of the Revell Hemi Dart hoods.

3 hours ago, Mark said:

In days of old, several resin casters offered conversion kits (grilles, header panel, taillight panel) to convert to a '68.  Some included a hood also.  '69 hood has that peak that rises towards the front (later Dodge Dart Sports used that same hood) while '68 is flatter.

MPC put the '68 side markers on the '69 body for the Judy Lilly Super Stock issue, those remained until Ertl revamped the kit into the 383 version that exists to this day.  I've got one of those kits, and someone's old '68 conversion but no hood.  I think I can piece a hood together from a couple of the Revell Hemi Dart hoods.

Mark  PM me I have a Perrys resin hood

Keep in mind that Sox & Martin had several 68 Hemi Barracuda's and different versions over the years like the other cars they ran, so it can be challenging to find good references.
I have plans to do a Sox & Martin Hemi Barracuda myself, I found a resin Super Stock 1968 Barracuda body some years ago and will use the AMT Duster chassis and the Hemi from the AMT 68-69 GTX/Roadrunner for my build.

• Like 1