Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT 71 Dodge Demon Final Assy Problem

Len Woodruff

9 minutes ago, bigdrag1 said:

The last two of these dusters I`ve built, I `ve had to file the top edge of the Interior panels to get things to fit right. you may want to try that.

DSCN3424.JPG

Thanks. I have done somee of that.

I also noticed that the interior panels are too wide at the dash board

This is where "mock up" becomes a fundamental step.

Test fitting everything before paint would have been extremely helpful to be certain that everything would fit properly in the final assembly stage.

That said, you'll just have to test fit now to determine where the fitment issue is, and try to remedy it.

If it should be the thickness of the windshield that's the issue, you could always replace it with thin, clear plastic sheet.

Thinner plastic makes for better looking glass anyway.

Steve

4 minutes ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

This is where "mock up" becomes a fundamental step.

Test fitting everything before paint would have been extremely helpful to be certain that everything would fit properly in the final assembly stage.

That said, you'll just have to test fit now to determine where the fitment issue is, and try to remedy it.

If it should be the thickness of the windshield that's the issue, you could always replace it with thin, clear plastic sheet.

Thinner plastic makes for better looking glass anyway.

Steve

Steve this is not my build. I am just helping my buddy who has Parkisons do the final assembly. I have test fitted this several times but still can't find the issue.

Since I don't buiId Mopars I am just looking for people who have built this kit and resolved the issue.

This is one of the newer AMT kits. I would have thought they would have better fit than what I am experiancing. 

1 hour ago, Len Woodruff said:

Steve this is not my build. I am just helping my buddy who has Parkisons do the final assembly. I have test fitted this several times but still can't find the issue.

Since I don't buiId Mopars I am just looking for people who have built this kit and resolved the issue.

This is one of the newer AMT kits. I would have thought they would have better fit than what I am experiancing. 

Wait, I must be missing something.

Is this the newer AMT Duster, or the MPC Demon?

To my knowledge, the Demon has never been re-issued.

Steve

1 hour ago, Len Woodruff said:

My bad. It is the Duster 340. Sorry about that.

20221207_153931.jpg

Ah!

Well that should make it easier.

I'm sure that there are plenty of people who have dealt with this kit, and know of it's short comings.

Not so much the Demon.

Roger seems to have dealt with this issue, and he's an exemplary builder.

I would start with his suggestion.

Steve

You're welcome Len! I had the same experience a few years ago. IIRC, there's also an issue with the quarter window. You may need to make a notch for it on the interior panel. Some choose to leave it out. But, it's a fixed glass that pops out at the rear. It doesn’t roll up or down.

1 hour ago, Plowboy said:

You're welcome Len! I had the same experience a few years ago. IIRC, there's also an issue with the quarter window. You may need to make a notch for it on the interior panel. Some choose to leave it out. But, it's a fixed glass that pops out at the rear. It doesn’t roll up or down.

We gave up on the quater windowws. They are longer than the slot that is in the side panels and dn;t seat well.

I have had similar interior fit problems with a few kits. Found that narrowing the dash width a little at the meeting point between the interior side panels and the dash have gone a long way toward eliminating the problem. Each kit will be different in this area, but these seems to help a lot regardless of the kit you're building. 

• Like 1

The dash was a problem. After narrowing the dash some it was stil 1.5 mm to wide. We used a powered sanding disk to do a chanfer on the side edge from the dash back to the quarter window grove.this narrowed the side panels to just leas than 60mm.

It then fit without a problem.

Thanks everyone for your help.