Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT C-900 Garwood Garbage Truck

Not sure if this fits here, guys, as it is not a true WIP in terms of a step-by-step build. Yet neither is it ready for Under Glass. (In fact, I'd suggest it is headed for "Under The Bed" or at least The Shelf of Doom!) To this point it is 95% built but I have found it pretty frustrating build that has kicked my butt. The new compactor body is pretty nice and though some of the detail is a bit heavy handed, fit is really nice and that finished component was well worth it for me. The C-900 chassis and truck body is what really threw me. Admittedly I am not a truck/car modeler and I know more than a few of you are probably better versed in the vagaries of this particular truck kit than I. And I do mean vague in terms of fit AND directions! ;) That said, there were more than my share of operator errors too.

So all that said, here it is where it stands as of now. I think I'll just put it aside in my new found maturity (i.e. after 70 years!) and maybe come back to it in a few weeks when I'm feeling kinder to it.

IMG_20221213_121620 (1024x526).jpg

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

As I noted, I thought the compactor body was nicely done and it was the main attraction for me. Its fit is very good and the detail on it is more than adequate for out-of-the-box; as always, the better modelers here can really enhance that. Decals are pretty good too if not a hair thick. A word of caution though - they do want to immediately stick. Flood the area with water and a touch dish or hand soap; between that and the heartiness of the decals and you'll be good. Also, some of the hydraulic plumbing is questionable, but hey, the stuff they give you is pretty nice and busy appearing, so I was happy as is. Also, also......make sure you prime the compactor body if you are going to use a light finish color; see my on the bench mock-up photo with a bit of back light. No major sub-assemblies glued, just laid together.

My problems came with the chassis and cab. And I do *get* it - this is 'round two' for an older kit - and I accept the fact we are headed back two plus generations in molding and fit. (Heck, I'll be 70 years old this week). But did we need to use the same old instructions for the truck? Considering that parts fitment is iffy to begin with, better instructions would have been nice.

Anyway, I largely enjoyed the build and got my money's worth. It's hanging around and no doubt I'll come back to it sooner or later. I also got a new found respect for you car and truck guys, not normally my field of endeavor - well done, ladies and gents!

Round Two .jpg

• Like 1