Model Cars Magazine Forum

1961 FordGalaxie Police car? Lights, decals & body?

Hi everyone, I'm wanting to build the police car from American Graffiti. The main thing I am after is the Police lights for the roof & decals? Does anyone make either of these items? I have a siren from the Johan 1960 Plymouth wagon. 

I am planning on using the AMT 1961 Ford Galaxie 2 door kit. In saying that has anyone ever made a 4 door body? I’ve never seen one. It might save me some work. 

Thankyou in advance.

2838934262_01d6debc0a_b.jpg

petalumacopcar_resized.jpg

Edited by mopargreg

Can't help you with the body, but I think most of the Police Lights and such can be found in the Revell '48 Ford coupe model. I know the lights for the rood match what is in the kit. For any spotlights maybe someone can help you with the spotlights in the Galaxy '48 Chevrolet kits. 

6 hours ago, Motor City said:

I would start with the Hubley 1/24th 1961 Ford promo or kit.  The promos tend to warp.  Also check out this 1960 kit for inspiration:

1960 Ford Fairlane Sheriff Patrol Car - Police - Pro Built - 1/24 Hubley | eBay

image.png.d699ed07eb2852cef1371183197d6c96.png

Thank you but that Hubley is a Fairlane. The American Grafitti Police car is a Galaxie. I think they may be different

1 hour ago, espo said:

Can't help you with the body, but I think most of the Police Lights and such can be found in the Revell '48 Ford coupe model. I know the lights for the rood match what is in the kit. For any spotlights maybe someone can help you with the spotlights in the Galaxy '48 Chevrolet kits. 

Perfect Thankyou!

1 hour ago, mopargreg said:

Thank you but that Hubley is a Fairlane. The American Grafitti Police car is a Galaxie. I think they may be different

I doubt you would get anything closer to what I suggested since it's a 4-door sedan.  Most police cars in this country were bottom-of-the-line cars or close to it.

• 2 weeks later...

The roofline of the car in question isn't 100% clear, but it does look like the one with the flatter rear glass.  In that case, the AMT hardtop body would be the better starting point.  Removing the Galaxie trim will of course be needed, as well as reworking the roof to add the frames around the side glass (at the very least; more work in other areas may be needed).