Model Cars Magazine Forum

Salvinos JR 2023

niteowl7710

I'd think you'd have to paint the car gloss black first. Or the car will come molded in black. Then the decals will go over that. There's enough black on it where I suspect that's the way they would go.

I'm going to build Bubba's Kansas winner with the first Toyota I get so it's not as much of an issue for me, but I can see how those Truex decals can be intimidating.

• Like 2

I think they'll be waterslides. IIRC they've switched to Cartograf printing so the quality of the decals will be unsurpassed. With plenty of Microsol and heat they'll likely lay down just fine. Jay Savarese has done some amazing work with complex decals and uses that method.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Merkur XR4Ti said:

I'd think you'd have to paint the car gloss black first. Or the car will come molded in black. Then the decals will go over that. There's enough black on it where I suspect that's the way they would go.

I'm going to build Bubba's Kansas winner with the first Toyota I get so it's not as much of an issue for me, but I can see how those Truex decals can be intimidating.

It probably will be molded in black, but it was stated again last night on their live stream that the entire car is covered in decals top to bottom and side to side. There will be no part (allegedly) that isn't covered by the wrap.

I also don't expect them to really follow up on the vinyl wrap idea anytime soon.

• Like 1

That body looks really excellent in primer. I'm very impressed. Salvino's also fixed the roof rail on the driver's side.

I believe Jay is using one of his built chassis to display these bodies, Salvino's has said the Camry kits will have a full dash pad included in the kit.

12 hours ago, Merkur XR4Ti said:

That body looks really excellent in primer. I'm very impressed. Salvino's also fixed the roof rail on the driver's side.

I believe Jay is using one of his built chassis to display these bodies, Salvino's has said the Camry kits will have a full dash pad included in the kit.

The roof rail is being remedied on the Camaro, but it's there on the Ford and obviously the Camry. The three bodies have three different body tools. They didn't just slap different front and rear inserts into the Camaro as both the Ford & Toyota have completely different body side style lines as well.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, niteowl7710 said:

The roof rail is being remedied on the Camaro, but it's there on the Ford and obviously the Camry. The three bodies have three different body tools. They didn't just slap different front and rear inserts into the Camaro as both the Ford & Toyota have completely different body side style lines as well.

Of course, I didn't mean to imply that they did. The bodies are all new.

On 2/26/2023 at 10:53 PM, niteowl7710 said:

All 2023 Kits going forward (starting with the Blaney Mustang) will now have a dashboard and electronics box included in the kits. 

Looking at my Ryan Blaney kit I'm not seeing the dashboard. I seem to recall an electronics box in a previous build I did of the Camaro. Maybe I'm just old and dumb but looking at the instruction sheet and the parts trees I don't see anything new jumping out at me.

5 hours ago, TonyK said:

Looking at my Ryan Blaney kit I'm not seeing the dashboard. I seem to recall an electronics box in a previous build I did of the Camaro. Maybe I'm just old and dumb but looking at the instruction sheet and the parts trees I don't see anything new jumping out at me.

The dash and electronics should be on the tree with the hood, small spoiler, and snorkel (air intake) components.  It doesn't look like they made it to the instruction sheet though.

5 hours ago, TonyK said:

The dash is on the parts tree with the hood

Thanks guys. I'll look closer now that you've guided me toward it. Now I'll just have to be smart enough to attach them in the right place but guessing someone will have pictures of a completed model before I get that far.